Placemat wizard

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk »

Many users of the forum will be familiar with JDAW's free software to make placemats for tastings. Some users may feel they are not suitably qualified to use the software - if this is you, then a wizard has been developed which allows you to create the postscript file necessary for creating placemats and associated pages.

The wizard can be found here.

Should you encounter any issues using the wizard, please PM me and I will help if I can.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by jdaw1 »

The placemat software’s manual has a box Making Your First Placemat: Advice for Beginners. Mike: please let me know when a link to the Wizard can go in that box.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

flash_uk wrote:Many users of the forum will be familiar with JDAW's free software to make placemats for tastings. Some users may feel they are not suitably qualified to use the software - if this is you, then a wizard has been developed which allows you to create the postscript file necessary for creating placemats and associated pages.

The wizard can be found here.

Should you encounter any issues using the wizard, please PM me and I will help if I can.
Good work. Thank you.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

A small upgrade has been made to the wizard. It is now possible to save parameter files and reload parameter files.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

flash_uk wrote:A small upgrade has been made to the wizard. It is now possible to save parameter files and reload parameter files.
Excellent job Mike; a "small" upgrade perhaps, but a hugely significant one making the wizard easy to use and to return to and update for changes without having to re-enter everything. Great job.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

I have now figured out how to permit and validate accented characters. This will be included in the next release.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JDAW, in [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#advice_for_beginners_wizard]the manual[/url], wrote: First there is a decision. Mike Meehan, a friend of the author of the PostScript program, has made a ‘Wizard’. The Wizard has the great advantage of simplifying the making of the placemats, and does some hand-holding of the user. The Wizard has the small disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach. So non-geeks should use the Wizard. Geeks might or might not prefer use it: laziness versus features-and-control. If not using the Wizard, then continue with this manual. If using the Wizard, continue at www.planetmeehan.com/tpf/wizard.php. (And the rest of this manual assumes not using the Wizard.)
Improvements to wording welcomed.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
JDAW, in [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#advice_for_beginners_wizard]the manual[/url], wrote: First there is a decision. Mike Meehan, a friend of the author of the PostScript program, has made a ‘Wizard’. The Wizard has the great advantage of simplifying the making of the placemats, and does some hand-holding of the user. The Wizard has the small disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach. So non-geeks should use the Wizard. Geeks might or might not prefer use it: laziness versus features-and-control. If not using the Wizard, then continue with this manual. If using the Wizard, continue at www.planetmeehan.com/placemat/wizard.php. (And the rest of this manual assumes not using the Wizard.)
Improvements to wording welcomed.
Am personally not keen on "Wizard" (I would prefer "UI" or "User Interface") but can see the value of a simple reference term for less technical users; whatever term is used I think needs better initial explanation, along the lines of "... has made a Web-based user interface (the "Wizard" [or whatever]) allowing the user to create placemats by completing a form on a web page. The Wizard thus has the great advantage of simplifying the creation of placemats, but the disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach..." and suggest replace laziness with "ease-of-use".
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Am personally not keen on "Wizard" (I would prefer "UI" or "User Interface") but can see the value of a simple reference term for less technical users; whatever term is used I think needs better initial explanation, along the lines of "... has made a Web-based user interface (the "Wizard" [or whatever]) allowing the user to create placemats by completing a form on a web page. The Wizard thus has the great advantage of simplifying the creation of placemats, but the disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach..." and suggest replace laziness with "ease-of-use".
Done.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Revised wording looks good. "Wizard" is a commonly understood word for non-tech people.
Glenn Elliott
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Wizard now offers the portrait/landscape option for page orientation.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

/2alph
Warre’s Warrior

Post by /2alph »

Thanks a lot for the tool. Its very easy!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Folks, a bit of a webserver disaster has overwritten the wizard code with an older version. I will endeavour to get the wizard restored as soon as possible.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote:Folks, a bit of a webserver disaster has overwritten the wizard code with an older version. I will endeavour to get the wizard restored as soon as possible.
All back up and running now. In addition, accented characters are now available.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Folks, the wizard website will be unavailable likely until Jan 2020. The location of my server has no electricity while renovations are happening. So it’s doors to manual for now.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote: 13:03 Sun 13 Oct 2019 Folks, the wizard website will be unavailable likely until Jan 2020. The location of my server has no electricity while renovations are happening. So it’s doors to manual for now.
Placemat wizard is now available again.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

After an extended period of webserver transition, the wizard is available again: Wizard

The save/reload parameters function is broken however. I will endeavour to fix this shortly...