Placemat wizard

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Post Reply
User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2439
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk » 20:12 Mon 09 May 2016

Many users of the forum will be familiar with JDAW's free software to make placemats for tastings. Some users may feel they are not suitably qualified to use the software - if this is you, then a wizard has been developed which allows you to create the postscript file necessary for creating placemats and associated pages.

The wizard can be found here.

Should you encounter any issues using the wizard, please PM me and I will help if I can.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19751
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by jdaw1 » 21:05 Mon 09 May 2016

The placemat software’s manual has a box Making Your First Placemat: Advice for Beginners. Mike: please let me know when a link to the Wizard can go in that box.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by DRT » 23:54 Mon 09 May 2016

flash_uk wrote:Many users of the forum will be familiar with JDAW's free software to make placemats for tastings. Some users may feel they are not suitably qualified to use the software - if this is you, then a wizard has been developed which allows you to create the postscript file necessary for creating placemats and associated pages.

The wizard can be found here.

Should you encounter any issues using the wizard, please PM me and I will help if I can.
Good work. Thank you.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2439
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk » 00:05 Tue 17 May 2016

A small upgrade has been made to the wizard. It is now possible to save parameter files and reload parameter files.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2491
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by PhilW » 09:26 Tue 17 May 2016

flash_uk wrote:A small upgrade has been made to the wizard. It is now possible to save parameter files and reload parameter files.
Excellent job Mike; a "small" upgrade perhaps, but a hugely significant one making the wizard easy to use and to return to and update for changes without having to re-enter everything. Great job.

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2439
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk » 19:54 Wed 18 May 2016

I have now figured out how to permit and validate accented characters. This will be included in the next release.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19751
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by jdaw1 » 11:17 Mon 23 May 2016

JDAW, in [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#advice_for_beginners_wizard]the manual[/url], wrote: First there is a decision. Mike Meehan, a friend of the author of the PostScript program, has made a ‘Wizard’. The Wizard has the great advantage of simplifying the making of the placemats, and does some hand-holding of the user. The Wizard has the small disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach. So non-geeks should use the Wizard. Geeks might or might not prefer use it: laziness versus features-and-control. If not using the Wizard, then continue with this manual. If using the Wizard, continue at www.planetmeehan.com/tpf/wizard.php. (And the rest of this manual assumes not using the Wizard.)
Improvements to wording welcomed.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2491
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by PhilW » 12:05 Mon 23 May 2016

jdaw1 wrote:
JDAW, in [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#advice_for_beginners_wizard]the manual[/url], wrote: First there is a decision. Mike Meehan, a friend of the author of the PostScript program, has made a ‘Wizard’. The Wizard has the great advantage of simplifying the making of the placemats, and does some hand-holding of the user. The Wizard has the small disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach. So non-geeks should use the Wizard. Geeks might or might not prefer use it: laziness versus features-and-control. If not using the Wizard, then continue with this manual. If using the Wizard, continue at www.planetmeehan.com/tpf/wizard.php. (And the rest of this manual assumes not using the Wizard.)
Improvements to wording welcomed.
Am personally not keen on "Wizard" (I would prefer "UI" or "User Interface") but can see the value of a simple reference term for less technical users; whatever term is used I think needs better initial explanation, along the lines of "... has made a Web-based user interface (the "Wizard" [or whatever]) allowing the user to create placemats by completing a form on a web page. The Wizard thus has the great advantage of simplifying the creation of placemats, but the disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach..." and suggest replace laziness with "ease-of-use".

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19751
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by jdaw1 » 13:30 Mon 23 May 2016

PhilW wrote:Am personally not keen on "Wizard" (I would prefer "UI" or "User Interface") but can see the value of a simple reference term for less technical users; whatever term is used I think needs better initial explanation, along the lines of "... has made a Web-based user interface (the "Wizard" [or whatever]) allowing the user to create placemats by completing a form on a web page. The Wizard thus has the great advantage of simplifying the creation of placemats, but the disadvantage of hiding almost all of the 400+ parameters, putting many features and settings beyond its reach..." and suggest replace laziness with "ease-of-use".
Done.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by Glenn E. » 15:51 Mon 23 May 2016

Revised wording looks good. "Wizard" is a commonly understood word for non-tech people.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2439
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk » 10:50 Sat 11 Jun 2016

Wizard now offers the portrait/landscape option for page orientation.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19751
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by jdaw1 » 11:48 Sat 11 Jun 2016


/2alph
Cockburn’s Special Reserve
Posts: 41
Joined: 13:25 Mon 23 May 2016

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by /2alph » 17:04 Wed 29 Jun 2016

Thanks a lot for the tool. Its very easy!

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2439
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk » 22:28 Sun 24 Jul 2016

Folks, a bit of a webserver disaster has overwritten the wizard code with an older version. I will endeavour to get the wizard restored as soon as possible.

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2439
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Placemat wizard

Post by flash_uk » 19:29 Sat 30 Jul 2016

flash_uk wrote:Folks, a bit of a webserver disaster has overwritten the wizard code with an older version. I will endeavour to get the wizard restored as soon as possible.
All back up and running now. In addition, accented characters are now available.

Post Reply