Cockburn vertical?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Cockburn vertical?

Post by uncle tom »

Split by jdaw1 from immediately before this post in thread entitled In focus - a shipper for 2008.

Ramos Pinto is very thin on the ground in the UK - I don't think I've seen any post-WWII bottles offered in the last year.

Cockburns though is shaping up as a possible subject for a Crusting pipe vertical.

30 years ago, Cockburn took a sabbatical from VP production, passing on both '77 and '80, because at the time, they were focused on volume products, and wanted to raise the image of their Special Reserve.

Cockburn '75 is also a conspicuous rarity.

So, how about a Cockburn 'then and now' vertical?

I can supply a '55, '63 and '67 for the 'then' bit, and can also supply '85, '91, '94 and '97 for the 'now'.

An '83 really ought to be included in the lineup, and perhaps a '70 and '00 as well - it depends how many participants we have.

Thoughts please - is this worthy of a new thread in the offlines section??

Tom

(From a moderately cool but sunny Chiang Mai..)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Cockburn vertical?

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:I can supply a '55, '63 and '67 for the 'then' bit, and can also supply '85, '91, '94 and '97 for the 'now'.
I have lots†  of Cockburn 1970; one 1985, one 1963, and a bottle sold by Christie’s this June as “Believed Cockburn—Vintage 1924: Remains of embossed wax capsule. No label. Level into neck†. But when, post early February, will I next be in the UK? (When in the UK in a few weeks I’m happy to hand over to someone (Tom’s work colleague from whom I’m collecting bottles?) a C70 for this tasting even if I’m absent, but the C?24 would require my presence.)

†  Lots = 11 bottles, of which eight will be used at the end of January. So not really lots. More like some. Maybe even just a few. Who’s arguing anyway?
Last edited by jdaw1 on 05:35 Thu 03 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Ramos Pinto 1985

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:Ramos Pinto is very thin on the ground in the UK - I don't think I've seen any post-WWII bottles offered in the last year.
RP85 has given me great pleasure in 2007 (when I ‘discovered’ it). Retail prices paid have varied from £27 to $26, and is a value joy even if one is paying more than the top of that range.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

There isn't much Delaforce , Croft or Ferreira up here . .
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A Cockburn vertical interests me as it is a brand I tend to avoid and look down upon because of that awful Special Reserve they churn out. I only have the 67 but there has been so much bottle variation in those I have drunk I would rather we used one of Tom's.

Jdaw, do you have any dates you know of in 2008 when you will be on the correct side of the pond?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I definately have 67 Cockburns and I may have 75's I had three but don't know if I've drunk them,I have 91 also.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Possible Cockburn vertical

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Could one of the admins split this thread please. I think this is well worth its own discussion on the topic of a Cockburn vertical tasting - perhaps split to a thread in the offlines organisation forum called "Possible Cockburn Vertical Tasting".

The unfortunate thing is that we can only really fill 12 tasting glasses from a bottle, but this could be a fun tasting. Perhaps I should give up on trying to find enough bottles for a 1908 horizontal in October and instead we organise a Cockburn tasting for Roy's next visit to the UK. Would Tom and Julian and Sean C be able to be in the UK and free around October 8th?

If we do go for this Cockburn tasting , I only have three vintages of Cockburn ports that I could contribute :( ...

... but these are 1927, 1912 and 1908 :D

I am definitely up for a Cockburn vertical, provided I am able to be there to enjoy these ports!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Cockburn vertical

Post by jdaw1 »

Will enquire of family about dates of three-line whips.

But in case it doesn’t work out, I shall entrust to Alex or to Tom’s colleague one or two bottles of Cockburn 1970 (I have bottles from various sources).
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

because at the time, they were focused on volume products, and wanted to raise the image of their Special Reserve.
:shock: :?
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Was thinking the same. Maybe 'image' should be replaced with 'sales'?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Derek T. wrote: I only have the 67
I just remembered I also have a 1960 88)

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

A '60 and '70 would be good for the older line-up, if they can be spared.

Anyone got an '83?

Incidentally, whatever one thinks of the Special Reserve today, Cockburn's strategy (30 years ago) of presenting the wine as their very best - with nothing set aside for VP or LBV - does seem to have paid off.

Cockburn have dominated the UK Reserve and Ruby market ever since.. :wink:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Guys,

please don't forget the continental front. I would be very happy to join, but since I will be arriving on the day of the tasting, it would be tough to contribute older ports as they wouldnt have enough time to rest.

Please keep me in the loop as I would very much like to join.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Incidentally, whatever one thinks of the Special Reserve today, Cockburn's strategy (30 years ago) of presenting the wine as their very best - with nothing set aside for VP or LBV - does seem to have paid off.

Cockburn have dominated the UK Reserve and Ruby market ever since..
Wow - and yet it is still utter tosh.

Cadbury's do not make premium chocolate, they use all of their cocoa beans to make junk chocolate for the masses and so dominate the market in junk chocolate, remaining the root cause of obesity in the United Kingdom (allegedly, Mr Cadbury this is a bit of hyperbole for comedic effect, please do not sue my arse off). Yet, it is still palatable, as I can testify as we have demoilshed a shed-load of it this Christmas, unlike Cockburn's Ruby or even Special Reserve.
Port is basically a red drink
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Axel,

There is no need for participants to bring a bottle - those who do will simply tot up their contributions at cost price, and then divide by the number of attendees to arrive at a cost per person.

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

No one has set a date yet. Have they?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Alex B. mentioned October 8th, but nothing definitive yet. I will do my utter best to be there no matter which date, but can't promise anything.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I'd like to schedule a date that works for Julian, as I've yet to have the pleasure of meeting him in person.

When can you be sure of being in Blighty JDAW?

Tom
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Well, thank you Tom, but currently there are no such dates.

Post by jdaw1 »

Well, thank you Tom, but currently there are no such dates. So carry on without me. We will meet over port sooner or later, of that we can be sure.