Wed 24th of February 2016 Vesuvio tasting

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: Wed 24th of February 2016 Vesuvio tasting

Post by Doggett »

jdaw1 wrote:Placemats updated for 23 glasses on trimmed A2.
• Simon: please confirm that you can cope with printing the first 15 pages onto A2, and the remainder onto A4
I will speak to my printer to get the placemats printed onto A2 and the rest A4.
Julian - once the placemats are confirmed and all good to be printed, could you please email me the file so I can send it through to the printer directly. Please include any trim lines if required.

Simon
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Placemats updated and believed correct. Please could somebody ensure that they have the correct people; the correct bottles; and the correct crediting within the Circlearrays. Thank you.
Doggett wrote:I will speak to my printer to get the placemats printed onto A2 and the rest A4.
Thank you. Please print as late as possible, to cope with late changes.
Doggett wrote:Julian - once the placemats are confirmed and all good to be printed, could you please email me the file so I can send it through to the printer directly.
Will do.
Doggett wrote:Please include any trim lines if required.
The full width of A2 is being used, so there isn’t anywhere to put trim lines. Can the printer be instructed “about 8mm below the lowest printed matter”?

And I still believe that twenty-three bottles is too many.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:...

And I still believe that twenty-three bottles is too many.
Noted but not considered! Just sent instructions for the glass hire in order to us being able to have 23 ISO glasses in front of us next Wednesday out of space considerations. After checking with Management at the B&F we agreed they should arrive already on Tuesday the 23rd in order to have some buffer in case of problems. Sadly this will also increase cost per person to 70£. I will PM each attendee and provide my account details for advance payment and further instructions about any balancing of port brought to the tasting.
Despite your concerns about too many bottles are included in the tasting :o can I kindly ask you to take charge of the tasting on the tasting day and manage/organise decanting and prepouring at the B&F?
SCD kindly offered to help you. AP also promised to head to the B&F as soon as his meetings are finished. The Manager of the B&F will open the younger Vesuvios (03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12, 13) in the main cellar at the B&F on the night before the tasting. Due to the limited amount of decanters at B&F empty bts have to be used as decanters if not proper decanters can alternatively be provided. I plan to arrive ~ 4:00 PM at the B&F with the 12 other Vesuvios already decanted. Planned start of the tasting is 6:00 PM. Guess "Early birds" can have sneaky previews I guess from 5:30 PM onwards.

Hope have not forgotten anything.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Fine by me.

Will there be a substitute for Derek? (I could invite one if there isn't otherwise.) After substitute sorted food order will go to the B&F.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Food order completed. Please could somebody check.
One issue - Ian's order is not correct:
- IDJ has requested "no egg" (egg currently shown included) and has requested "welshe rarebit" savoury (not currently shown)
Rest are all ok, assuming your own is correct (JDAW) as not otherwise mentioned in thread. Additional notes:
- DRT no longer expecting to join us.
- AHB appears to have completely copied my order (admittedly he did put his in first) though he missed the spinach :D
jdaw1 wrote:Placemats updated and believed correct. Please could somebody ensure that they have the correct people; the correct bottles; and the correct crediting within the Circlearrays. Thank you.
All appears correct.

Thank you for all the organisation gents, am looking forward to this.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:Will there be a substitute for Derek? (I could invite one if there isn't otherwise.)
TC is on the reserves list - has anyone asked him if he can make it?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

flash_uk wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Will there be a substitute for Derek? (I could invite one if there isn't otherwise.)
I have emailed Tony this morning and asked him to confirm if he can make it.

Simon
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Doggett wrote:
flash_uk wrote:
I have emailed Tony this morning and asked him to confirm if he can make it.

Simon
Tony cannot make it due to work comitments. HAve spoken to my friend who initially wanted to come; will update shortly if he no want to sneak back into the tasting after the work comitment he had was cancelled on short notice.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

PhilW wrote:
- IDJ has requested "no egg" (egg currently shown included) and has requested "welshe rarebit" savoury
Thank-you Phil.

Re Starting time, I can probably get there by 5.30pm or just before.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

idj123 wrote:
PhilW wrote:
- IDJ has requested "no egg" (egg currently shown included) and has requested "welshe rarebit" savoury
Thank-you Phil.

Re Starting time, I can probably get there by 5.30pm or just before.
missed that, apologies Ian!
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Placemats updated and believed correct. Please could somebody ensure that they have the correct people; the correct bottles; and the correct crediting within the Circlearrays. Thank you.
All appears correct.
Thank you.

idj123 wrote:
PhilW wrote:- IDJ has requested "no egg" (egg currently shown included) and has requested "welshe rarebit" savoury
Thank-you Phil.
Savoury added. I will sit next to Ian and remove the egg. Problems solved.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Wed 24th of Feburary 2016 Vesuvio tasting

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Constandia wrote:Hello, I've been new here for almost a year now :P However I have never attended any of your tastings.
Just wondering if I could be included in the reserve list for the Quinta do Vesuvio Vertical on the 24th of February . I haven't tried many Vesuvios but I am quite keen to learn more of their style. I can bring along either the 2012 or 2013 vintage or a bottle from the mid 90's.
Many thanks!
Do we still have a spare seat available?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Wed 24th of Feburary 2016 Vesuvio tasting

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Do we still have a spare seat available?
I have invited somebody, but the invitation made clear that he needed to be fast. No harm in you inviting somebody on similar terms.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

My two bottles are available for adoption by whoever takes my seat.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:My two bottles are available for adoption by whoever takes my seat.
At this stage it might be administratively simpler for there to be £ settlement.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:My two bottles are available for adoption by whoever takes my seat.
At this stage it might be administratively simpler for there to be £ settlement.
Whatever works best. Either way the bottles will be there.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Whatever works best. Either way the bottles will be there.
Thanks Derek, appreciate that; a pity you're not able to be there with them.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

AHB wrote:
Constandia wrote:Hello, I've been new here for almost a year now :P However I have never attended any of your tastings.
Just wondering if I could be included in the reserve list for the Quinta do Vesuvio Vertical on the 24th of February . I haven't tried many Vesuvios but I am quite keen to learn more of their style. I can bring along either the 2012 or 2013 vintage or a bottle from the mid 90's.
Many thanks!
yes we have, my friend is hesitating at the moment so one place up for grabs....

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

WS1 wrote:
AHB wrote:
Many thanks!
yes we have, my friend is hesitating at the moment so one place up for grabs....

regards

WS1
Has anyone PM'd Constandia (as technically they should have been on the Reserve List after Tony)?

Also, thinking further on our discussions the other night and Julian's view that the later bottles (the most recent bottles) are likely to be 'lost' on account of palate fatigue due to the number of bottles being tasted, is there anything to be said for having smaller pre-pours for these later bottles (say for example 2008 and after)? It would be wasteful to see almost full glasses of these left at the end and unless being poured back into their respective bottles,being thrown away.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

idj123 wrote:...

Has anyone PM'd Constandia (as technically they should have been on the Reserve List after Tony)?

just did
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

idj123 wrote:Also, thinking further on our discussions the other night and Julian's view that the later bottles (the most recent bottles) are likely to be 'lost' on account of palate fatigue due to the number of bottles being tasted, is there anything to be said for having smaller pre-pours for these later bottles (say for example 2008 and after)? It would be wasteful to see almost full glasses of these left at the end and unless being poured back into their respective bottles,being thrown away.
I am bringing sample bottles, in which I am taking the youngsters away. Mine will not be tasted on the night.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:I am bringing sample bottles, in which I am taking the youngsters away. Mine will not be tasted on the night.
I plan to taste all on the night, but likely save any further drinking of most of the younger ones for later; the only flaw in this plan being that I have very few sample bottles left. Wasn't there a plan mooted at the last tasting in this regard?
{cough}JDAW{cough}
If so I would request another 50-ish(?) sample bottles when convenient.
(n.b. Wed evening next week would be particularly convenient if 'twere possible, perhaps for others also)
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
idj123 wrote:Also, thinking further on our discussions the other night and Julian's view that the later bottles (the most recent bottles) are likely to be 'lost' on account of palate fatigue due to the number of bottles being tasted, is there anything to be said for having smaller pre-pours for these later bottles (say for example 2008 and after)? It would be wasteful to see almost full glasses of these left at the end and unless being poured back into their respective bottles,being thrown away.
I am bringing sample bottles, in which I am taking the youngsters away. Mine will not be tasted on the night.

not tasted at all? How can you do wine of the night then not tasting the 11?

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

If the last spot is still up for grabs, I would be very keen to join on the 24th. I attended an offline a couple of years ago with TPF (Graham's vertical) and it's well overdue time to do another :)
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

If a food order is also required, then the Truffle Mac & Cheese, followed by Steak medium-rare please.