Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Post Reply
User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by jdaw1 » 21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018

This post to hold arrangements as and when agreed.

Date: perhaps Thursday 14th March 2019.

Venue: The Boot & Flogger, 10-20 Redcross Way, London SE1 1TA, tel +44 20 7407 1184 (streetmap.co.uk, maps.google.co.uk, bing, cafe.humid.palace). (Red Room booked by email on Sat 20th Oct.)

Theme: Broadbent, he supplying 2000, ’03, ’07, ’11, ’15. Perhaps from us also 1994 and 1997 (which would be complete); and, numbers permitting, a second course of older Ports from our cellars.

People:
  1. Bartholomew S. Broadbent himself;
  2. JDAW;
  3. AHB;
  4. JB;
  5. JB (Sten);
  6. JB (Stefan);
  7. SCD;
  8. DRL;
  9. MPM;
  10. IDJ;
  11. PW;
  12. CPR;
  13. MC;
  14. AP.
Reserves:

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by jdaw1 » 21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018

In gathering information about a new Port name little seen this side of the Atlantic — Broadbent — a tasting was kindly offered. And accepted. One bottle of each of Bb00, Bb03, Bb07, Bb11 and Bb15 are to be sent to me.

When?

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2547
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by Andy Velebil » 23:49 Mon 15 Oct 2018

jdaw1 wrote:In gathering information about a new Port name little seen this side of the Atlantic — Broadbent — a tasting was kindly offered. And accepted. One bottle of each of Bb00, Bb03, Bb07, Bb11 and Bb15 are to be sent to me.

When?
Bart Broadbent is a friend. Dirk makes the ports for him. I assume he’s branching out with it to new markets. If you need info I can put you in touch with Bart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11913
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by AHB » 10:49 Tue 16 Oct 2018

I have a bottle of the Bb94 I would happily contribute to the line up (assuming I have a place at the table, of course). I'll need a little notice as it's stored offsite.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 215
Joined: 09:18 Fri 17 May 2013
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by JB vintage » 16:48 Thu 18 Oct 2018

We have a Broadbent 1997 that we may contribute with if there is room for us at the table and if the date is suitable for us. Sten, Stefan & Jorgen
vintageport.se

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by jdaw1 » 21:12 Thu 18 Oct 2018

Dates permitting, we might be joined by Bartholomew Broadbent himself.

I have proposed a course of his Ports, and then a course of something older from our cellars.

JB vintage wrote:
16:48 Thu 18 Oct 2018
We have a Broadbent 1997 that we may contribute with if there is room for us at the table and if the date is suitable for us. Sten, Stefan & Jorgen
vintageport.se
Dates permitting, it would be a pleasure to see you again.

User avatar
Doggett
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 551
Joined: 17:40 Sun 20 Sep 2015
Location: Croydon

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by Doggett » 22:25 Thu 18 Oct 2018

If dates, themes and space permit I would like to come along.

DaveRL
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 365
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by DaveRL » 14:53 Fri 19 Oct 2018

Yes please.

User avatar
flash_uk
Dow 1980
Posts: 2747
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by flash_uk » 15:16 Fri 19 Oct 2018

I'm up for this, date permitting.

idj123
Warre’s Otima 20 year old Tawny
Posts: 707
Joined: 20:54 Tue 13 Nov 2012

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by idj123 » 18:08 Fri 19 Oct 2018

Yes please for this!

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2715
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by PhilW » 19:02 Fri 19 Oct 2018

I'd be interested too, if space and dates permit.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by jdaw1 » 20:01 Fri 19 Oct 2018

Doggett wrote:
22:25 Thu 18 Oct 2018
If dates, themes and space permit I would like to come along.
DaveRL wrote:
14:53 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Yes please.
flash_uk wrote:
15:16 Fri 19 Oct 2018
I'm up for this, date permitting.
idj123 wrote:
18:08 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Yes please for this!
PhilW wrote:
19:02 Fri 19 Oct 2018
I'd be interested too, if space and dates permit.
All added.

CPR 1
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 412
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: Broadbent Port

Post by CPR 1 » 21:04 Fri 19 Oct 2018

yes please

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by jdaw1 » 22:39 Fri 19 Oct 2018

Bartholomew Broadbent, by email, wrote:Can we pencil in Thursday, March 14th?
Hence:
jdaw1 wrote:
21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018
Date: perhaps Thursday 14th March 2019.

M.Charlton
Cruz Ruby
Posts: 5
Joined: 16:40 Sat 23 Jun 2018

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by M.Charlton » 22:44 Fri 19 Oct 2018

If there’s space I’d like to attend. As this will be my first TPF vertical, please get in touch to let me know if I need to do anything particular in advance.

Thanks,
Michael

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by jdaw1 » 23:03 Fri 19 Oct 2018

M.Charlton wrote:
22:44 Fri 19 Oct 2018
If there’s space I’d like to attend. As this will be my first TPF vertical, please get in touch to let me know if I need to do anything particular in advance.

Thanks,
Michael
We all had a first — it’s good.

Anything particular? Attend, not smelling of perfume nor of smoke.

What are your initials, and are you right-handed?

User avatar
Axel P
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1822
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by Axel P » 09:05 Sat 20 Oct 2018

Yes, please
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by jdaw1 » 10:07 Sat 20 Oct 2018

Which makes our full quota of fourteen. A reserve list has been started.

M.Charlton
Cruz Ruby
Posts: 5
Joined: 16:40 Sat 23 Jun 2018

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by M.Charlton » 10:10 Mon 22 Oct 2018

jdaw1 wrote:
23:03 Fri 19 Oct 2018
M.Charlton wrote:
22:44 Fri 19 Oct 2018
If there’s space I’d like to attend. As this will be my first TPF vertical, please get in touch to let me know if I need to do anything particular in advance.

Thanks,
Michael
We all had a first — it’s good.

Anything particular? Attend, not smelling of perfume nor of smoke.

What are your initials, and are you right-handed?
My initials are MC, I am right-handed, and I’ll leave the perfume off.

forest26
Niepoort LBV
Posts: 254
Joined: 19:32 Tue 25 Mar 2014

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by forest26 » 18:05 Mon 22 Oct 2018

Can you add me to the reserve list

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by jdaw1 » 20:57 Mon 22 Oct 2018

M.Charlton wrote:
10:10 Mon 22 Oct 2018
My initials are MC, I am right-handed, and I’ll leave the perfume off.
Splendid. Come drink with us.


forest26 wrote:
18:05 Mon 22 Oct 2018
Can you add me to the reserve list
Done.

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11913
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by AHB » 13:29 Thu 25 Oct 2018

jdaw1 wrote:
21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018
Theme: Broadbent, he supplying 2000, ’03, ’07, ’11, ’15. Perhaps from us also 1994 and 1997 (which would be complete); and, numbers permitting, a second course of older Ports from our cellars.
Do you have any guidance to give as to the theme for the second course? Should we all bring an extra bottle (and so consume 21 bottles between us)? Should we choose a partner and negotiate with said partner what we bring between the two of us? Are we to be given free rein under the theme of "...older Ports from our cellars."?
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
Monkey
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 16
Joined: 19:04 Tue 24 Jul 2018

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by Monkey » 18:22 Thu 25 Oct 2018

AHB wrote:
13:29 Thu 25 Oct 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018
Theme: Broadbent, he supplying 2000, ’03, ’07, ’11, ’15. Perhaps from us also 1994 and 1997 (which would be complete); and, numbers permitting, a second course of older Ports from our cellars.
Do you have any guidance to give as to the theme for the second course? Should we all bring an extra bottle (and so consume 21 bottles between us)? Should we choose a partner and negotiate with said partner what we bring between the two of us? Are we to be given free rein under the theme of "...older Ports from our cellars."?
Whatever the answer, I am available for absent blind guessing.
In the worlds before Monkey, Primal Chaos reigned.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Post by jdaw1 » 20:54 Thu 25 Oct 2018

AHB wrote:
13:29 Thu 25 Oct 2018
Do you have any guidance to give as to the theme for the second course? Should we all bring an extra bottle (and so consume 21 bottles between us)? Should we choose a partner and negotiate with said partner what we bring between the two of us? Are we to be given free rein under the theme of "...older Ports from our cellars."?
Perhaps one bottle between two people would be sensible.

As for a more specific theme, it’s not obviously necessary. But if you want one, sure, suggest one.

Post Reply