NV Fonseca Terra Prima

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

NV Fonseca Terra Prima Reserve (Organic)

Post by DRT »

I remember tasting this at Quinta do Vargellas in October and not being overly impressed. That said, it was up against some fairly stiff competition on that particular occassion.

The nose is young and quite spirity. An attractive dark ruby colour with
impressive sticky tears on the side of the glass. The mouthfeel is quite light at first but then seems to thicken. It is hard to find the fruit beneath the overwhelming dryness of this port and it quickly becomes quite hot. It is not an unpleasant drink but, on this showing, is not something I would buy again.

As I have only just finished a glass of Graham's 1991 I think I may be doing this wine an injustice so will revisit tomorrow and update this TN.

+24 Hours

Still not much on the nose but the spirit has gone and now smells peppery. The wine is definately softer than it was on opening and most of the heat has gone but it is still too dry for my taste. It now has a nice long licorice finish.

To anyone thinking of giving this a go, please do not be put off buy my comments - I am sure this is a very respectable offering but it just isn't to my taste.

To sum up, I will not buy this again unless I see it on the 50% off shelf