1992 Marks and Spencer LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1992 Marks and Spencer LBV

Post by JacobH »

A recent purchase, thrown into a larger order because it was quite cheap.

It was apparently bottled by “CD Vintners, Sociedade Vitivinicola” (can anyone remind me who they are?) from the “finest demarcated vineyards surrounding the village of Pinhäo”. Slightly unusually for a filtered LBV, it had 6 years in the bottle, being bottled in 1998. The back label helpfully tells me “This wine is ready to drink now: it will keep for a further twelve months from the date of purchase”. So, only 16 years out then...

The t-cork came out without any trouble and there was a little sediment in the bottom. The colour in the middle is somewhere between a rusty orange and a brick red, fading towards the rim which is clearer orange with a touch of brown. On the nose, a slight Porty sensation with a backbone, oddly, of soy-sauce. In the mouth the inital hit is a bit weird: again perhaps a bit of soy followed by very simple plums. The aftertaste, however, is wonderfully long and pleasant and remininsence of much better Port. Very pleasant to drink with no complaints!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1992 Marks and Spencer LBV

Post by jdaw1 »

The Japanese condiment is unusual.
JacobH wrote:it had 6 years in the bottle
16?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1992 Marks and Spencer LBV

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote: