2000 Kopke

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

2000 Kopke

Post by StevieCage »

Tasted 1-03: From half bottle. A struggle to open; my living room is now covered with small pieces of wax. A large cork for a half bottle, which oddly enough wasn’t branded with Kopke. Anyway, how does this baby taste?
Very dark, almost purple heart, with a ruby rim. Nose opened up after an hour and a half in the decanter, revealing red cherries and plums, it smelled quite sweet. However, the taste isn’t too sweet, and quite nicely balanced. Medium bodied. More plums and blackberries, with perhaps a hint of marzipan (sp?) lingering in the background. The finish is long, continuing with the flavours, and adding a bit of liquorice. Yup, nice one. I think this is a port for the medium term, as the tannins aren’t really pronounced.
I bought this for $15, and have already seen it cheaper. Good QPR! I’ll leave the rest for tomorrow to see how this one evolves.

I'm sitting here, sipping the leftover from yesterday. The nose has become a bit more powerful, and in the mouth it's a bit smoother. Finish now shows some raisins, and the liquorice is gone. Final verdict: a very nice glass of port! It may not be a blockbuster, and I don't think it will last very long, but if you buy this for $20-30, you'll have good QPR bottle of port in your cellar to enjoy around 2010. My first attempt at a rating: 88-90.

Tasted 17.11.2003: Tasted another bottle last night (from 750). Very black, with a very thin purple red rim. Thick bodied with loads of grip. A bit sharp, but this is compensated with loads of jammy blackberries. Medium finish, sweet and loads of grip. Needs time. 87 points.