1977 Rebello Valente

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1977 Rebello Valente

Post by jdaw1 »

The presence of Alex B. in New York triggered a tasting (arranged via this thread, and discussed in this review) to which:This thread contains the tasting notes for the Rebello Valente 1977.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

RV77

Post by jdaw1 »

Cloudy brown-red, and nosing of bottle-stink. Initially widely hated. Some said mint, others grass.

Then the bottle-stink faded, helped by a larger glass, and so found more favour. Later: very floral.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

My second fav wine.

I thought it initially tasted like York peppermint patties.

the finish started a bit short ...

but as the wine opened up it went a 30+ sec finish ..

it was the lightest wine of the bunch. Cloudy brown-red.

for me this was like drinking a light milk chocolate covered red berries.

I also agree with a floral component to this wine.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

What was your decanting time like?

The 77's often need a lot of time to get their act together..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Was decanted at 7 in the morning
re corked and stuck in the fridge until around 2pm?

it might have gotten shaken around tho on the NY subway system.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1977 Rebello Valente

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Double decanted for 7 hours before being tasted. Light centre, pale rim, weak / watery looking orange rim. Chocolate and cocoa powder on the nose, with some odd cabbaginess. Sweet and full bodied entry but with a dirty and earthy mid-palate. The bottle stink on this wine blew off after an hour or two in the glass and revealed a lovely and delicate wine that was drinking very nicely but unlikely to improve with further bottle age. 6-6 or 90/100.

This wine suffered significantly from bottle stink (which I learned a few weeks ago comes from a combination of high sulphur content and insufficient oxygen working its way through a bottle seal/cork) and this bottle stink was persistent and got in the way of appreciating this wine for what it could really offer. After a small remnant of my first pour had sat in my glass for a couple of hours this wine was really elegant and floral. Sadly when I had drunk and loved that pour and topped my glass back up, the bottle stink was back with a vengeance and we did not have enough time to allow it to blow off again. However, I did love this wine without the taint.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.