1992 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

1992 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Post by Sideways »

1992 Warre Traditional LBV
Decanted four hours before tasting. Fine, powdery sediment, less than I was expecting.

Colour is bright, rich and deep, like a well-polished blackcurrant. A quick fade towards the rim with just the tiniest hint of blue.

Powdered coffee, a little heat and vanilla on the nose, also something medicinal, I couldn’t quite place it though. Full mouthfeel, a touch too much fire. Flavours of figs and butterscotch, creamy, lovely balance of baked, sweet fruit and a dryness reminiscent of prune juice. Fine tannins watching over proceedings. A short-ish but intense finish.

24 hours later the spirit was better integrated. More laid-back and rounded on the palette, softer, more fruit, longer finish with less heat.

A lovely, generous port with only one or two flaws. It comes across as lively, eager to please, it needs to calm down a little, another five years in the bottle should go some way to achieving this. A pleasure to drink. 17.5/20

GK.

Vintage Shmintage.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

How much was it? (IAMFI.)

Post by jdaw1 »

Sounds very worthwhile. How much was it? (IAMFI.)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

A very solid LBV that I've always enjoyed.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: How much was it? (IAMFI.)

Post by Sideways »

jdaw1 wrote:Sounds very worthwhile. How much was it? (IAMFI.)
Usuall price is around £16~£17, Oddbins, Sains & Tesco.

However, my local store was recently selling it 'reduced to clear' for £7.90! I cleared the shelf, I have two more bottles of the '92 and six bottles of the '95. Sadly, there were no '94's to be seen.

This has to be my second best 'bargain wine buy' of the year, my first being the purchase of 12 bottles of Meursault, Le Meurger 2002, found sitting on a bin-end rack at my local Morrisons with heavily stained bottles/labels and marked down to £3.99. It is stocked in select Morrisons stores for £13.99.

I have four bottles remaining, all bottles drunk to date have been fabulous. :D
Vintage Shmintage.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Re last post, found a pic.

Vintage Shmintage.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Did Derek sell you those tiles??? They do look familiar. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am now officially off the hook on the tile front. :D

I saw these last night and breathed a huge sigh of relief that my torment was finally coming to an end. I wondered how long it would take you to comment, Conky, and am surprised it took this long :roll:

Derek

Sideways: No offence intended. They are lovely tiles. Just as lovely as the ones I have been tortured over for months.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

If you think those are bad it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination. You should see the ones in the downstairs bog! :shock:

I'm not offended. I know where you live.
Vintage Shmintage.