1985 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1985 Fonseca

Post by KillerB »

About as dark as being in a coal-mine without a helmet-light, there may have been a purple colour in there but could equally have been a trick of the light. Nose was completely absent on first attempt. In the mouth it was better, very tannic and alcoholic but summer-fruit compote hanging around to make it pleasant. As it hung around it became much more fruity but the tannins kept it together. Eventually a very enjoyable bottle but wildly young.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

A note that LadyR made in April 2004 (during a offline with tsunami)
hmm, what to say about such a beautifull glass/bottle of port?
Red brown core with brown/orange rim.
It smells perfectly balanced and harmonised: all components fit together into a single enjoyment. Ripe cherries, black berries, some green tones.
The taste shows soft tannins, well balanced with the rest: ligth jammie cherries, black berries and some spices. Very elegant port, very complex, not a single negative word to say.
The finish simply does not stop. :D :D :D (how many graemlins do I need to put in here to make it clear how I like it.)
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

A note by me from January 2006:
Refined glass of port, already many older notes (tobacco, leather) but still good fruit and very lively. Full, spicy and interesting. Silky soft, long finish. Did seem older than the ‘85’s I previously tasted. 94
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

And yet another, from April this year:
A shock when we opened the bottle: the cork fell right into the bottle when touched. Hmmm. It had not leaked though. Slightly dusty and old straight after decanting, implying that the bottle might have suffered. Massive structure though. After six hours of decanting it gained considerably in colour, and posessed much more dark flavours of cherry, dark chocolate and distinctive aromas of lemon blossom and other flowers. Delicate flavours with a big structure. The heat (especially on the finish) is a bit distracting. The second day (just after breakfast), it's even better. The heat's gone and the flavours are intensely complex and elegant. A great port. 95 points