2005 Taylor Terra Feita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2005 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by rich_n »

PnP - a quick taste to check all is ok. Red berries and brambles on the nose along with some heat. Sweet red berries on entry that very quickly give way to liquorice that carries all the way through the palate alongside some pepper heat, maybe some tobacco? Quite savoury, rather than sweet, but enjoyably so with some red fruits and maybe a touch of caramel persisting under the surface. Rather dry. There's a note in the finish that I cannot clearly identify, but that seems odd rather then off. Robust but not aggressive, intriguing so far.

+24 hours - nose is a little mute now but still has a little red berry. Sweet strawberries on entry now, maybe caramel coated berries? Prickly pepper heat with a little tobacco and red cherries through the middle now with a dry finish tannic finish. Slightly medicinal note driven by aniseed (which shoved its way to the front later in the evening) coming in late around the edges, this is lovely and complex and very easy drinking.

+48 hours - this port is singing beautifully right now! Full, sweet, luscious caramel and milk chocolate on entry, breaking into aniseed and red cherries in the mid palate. A little white pepper through the finish, which lasts longer than the first 2 days, the caramel lingering for a while. The tannins are much less aggressive and have integrated well into the body.

+3 days - starting to progress to the stewed fruit stage. There's some caramel and milk chocolate still, and aniseed still in the fore but this is now past its best. A rather delightful port that I've enjoyed, I have more of this and I'm looking forward to further bottles over the next few years. Good to very good.

Last edited by rich_n on 23:44 Sat 13 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.