2011 Marks and Spencer

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2011 Marks and Spencer

Post by winesecretary »

It's been a dreadful month for port by which I mean work has largely precluded it. And now the work has largely been dealt with I find myself needing something that will survive in a half in the 'fridge while I am obeying relevant governmental ukases but nevertheless required to be elsewhere for a few days. So the 'haven't tried it this year but have lots' bottle of M&S 2011 has been sacrificed.

+ 30 mins

95% opaque, red rim. Very much a glass-stainer with lovely legs. Nose of violets, dust, prune compote and spearmint chewing gum, slightly unusually, in that order. Lots of tannic attack, quite fiery sloe gin mid-palate, pleasing finish with marmalade drying to cocoa.

Not ready, but surprisingly good even if you adjust for the fact I am a significantly port-deprived individual. Natasha Bridge is a very talented blender.

+5 days (stored in a half bottle in 'fridge in meantime)

Rich wine blackcurrants all over the place, nice mineral finish. Held up very well indeed.

Needs decades really.