NV Fletcher Fine Ruby

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
nac
Fonseca 1980

NV Fletcher Fine Ruby

Post by nac »

Recently placed an order with Aldi for a couple of bottles of their 40 year old tawny (previously Maynard's - now Fletcher's) and padded the case out with 4 bottles of the 2016 LBV.

The tawny arrived safely but was accompanied by 4 bottles of the Fine Ruby.

Spoke to a very helpful man in Aldi's customer service team who was most apologetic and couldn't understand how this had happened. He presented me with two options for resolving the problem:

1. Return all six bottles for a full refund.
2. Keep the six bottles received and get a full refund for the cost of the LBVs not received.

Clearly not a difficult decision.

So, opened up one of the (now gratis) bottles of Fine Ruby in a cellar defending role. To be honest, couldn't remember the last time I'd tasted a Ruby (unless it had been poured into a pint of Guinness), so didn't have much to compare against and wasn't expecting much either.

Was not disappointed.

On the nose - not very much. A general wine aroma.
In the mouth - not very much. Lots of black fruit and some alcohol.

Have VacuVined the remains of the bottle and will report back if it gets better / evolves, but I suspect not...