2018 Barros

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2018 Barros

Post by rich_n »

Initial pnp - mostly closed nose with a hint of red cherries, but my, this opens up on the palate beautifully! Initially full of Parma Violets and perfume, but that’s immediately washed away in a sea of red cherries that fills the palate, accompanied by milk chocolate and mint. That is then followed by a luscious finish of ripe plums, but the gripping tanning close it off for a relatively short finish that I expect to lengthen after it has had some time in the decanter.

+10 hrs - nose is now full of dark fruits, backed up with a barrel full of plums with strawberries in behind. Lots of spice and some milk chocolate on the mid palate and plenty of tannic grip drying the lovely finish.

My co-tasters are not quite as excitable about port as I am but were still intrigued and eager to try a young vintage port, and were suitably impressed. I’m only a touch saddened that I was unable to try taste the further evolution of the port with a day or two in the decanter but I’m extremely pleased I have more of this for the future as it stands up well alongside all but the best that I tasted at the 2017 TPF vintage port tasting last year.

Very good to excellent.
PCM
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: 2018 Barros

Post by PCM »

rich_n wrote: 20:04 Mon 28 Sep 2020 Initial pnp - mostly closed nose with a hint of red cherries, but my, this opens up on the palate beautifully! Initially full of Parma Violets and perfume, but that’s immediately washed away in a sea of red cherries that fills the palate, accompanied by milk chocolate and mint. That is then followed by a luscious finish of ripe plums, but the gripping tanning close it off for a relatively short finish that I expect to lengthen after it has had some time in the decanter.

+10 hrs - nose is now full of dark fruits, backed up with a barrel full of plums with strawberries in behind. Lots of spice and some milk chocolate on the mid palate and plenty of tannic grip drying the lovely finish.

My co-tasters are not quite as excitable about port as I am but were still intrigued and eager to try a young vintage port, and were suitably impressed. I’m only a touch saddened that I was unable to try taste the further evolution of the port with a day or two in the decanter but I’m extremely pleased I have more of this for the future as it stands up well alongside all but the best that I tasted at the 2017 TPF vintage port tasting last year.

Very good to excellent.
Thanks a lot for this note! Happy to hear it's really great value for money :D!!