2000 Sainsbury

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Tarne
Cheap Ruby

2000 Sainsbury

Post by Tarne »

2000 Sainsbury's Taste the Difference
Bottled by Symington. First bottle was corked; not a good start especially as it was a birthday treat.  However, thankfully the second of the gifted bottles was enjoyed by all and saved the day.

Dark purple and 90% opaque. Dry herbs on the nose and in the mouth a concentrated mix of dark plums - which predominated - and black cherries with a pleasing touch of mixed spice. Underlying tannins and a little heat were mostly masked by the fruit. Smooth and mouth filling with little after taste.

I have experienced few cases of cork taint with port but once I get even the slightest whiff of that characteristic odor I’m unable, like some, to see past it.

Having been disappointed would I buy this port? The good bottle was no more satisfying than many better valued unfiltered L B V’s I’ve enjoyed so, no!

A question please for someone more knowledgeable - there is a single uppercase R printed on the side of the cork (which appeared young) does this indicate re-corking?