2007 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2007 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Post by rich_n »

Opened at 2pm for the virtual TPF tasting (slightly later than planned).

Initial impressions were of a fairly quiet nose, faint light red fruits with a slight eucalyptus note. More confidently fruity on the palate, leading with red and black cherries that give way to strawberry and redcurrants. Heat and pepper and some chocolate (mid to dark) in the mid palate along with a medicinal eucalyptus note and a less-than-pleasant chemical note, maybe somewhat acetic? A brief finish but this is early stages.

7pm - still a muted nose, not completely missing but not giving much away. Red cherries with a hint of tobacco? Much fuller on the palate, less powerfully fruity than before, but some red cherries and more redcurrants along with a lovely tobacco note. The eucalyptus has faded a little and is much more pleasant now. Medium spice with some dark chocolate, still a slight hint of something chemical but that is only faint at this point. Longer finish at this point.

9pm - less fruity? Beautifully spicy! Seems to be improving throughout the evening, this is a very rounded and enjoyable port, and excellent value for money at less than £20 a bottle. The only caveat is that I haven’t tried the 2004 or 2005, both of which are highly regarded.

I have saved some to see how this port evolves and will add updates.
Last edited by rich_n on 23:37 Tue 16 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.
rich_n

Re: 2007 Warre LBV Unfiltered

Post by rich_n »

Day 2 - sadly this has lost some of its sparkle, it’s all a little muted now. A lot of the same fruit flavours are there but taking a back seat to a strong medicinal note and some fairly hefty spice and heat. Not nearly as enjoyable as it was yesterday.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2007 Warre LBV Unfiltered

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Shame, and not what I would have expected based on my experience of this wine from other vintages, but thank you for keeping some back and posting your thoughts on the wine on both days.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
rich_n

2007 Warre LBV Unfiltered

Post by rich_n »

Day 4, final glass: this is intriguing, the wine is now settling in and while more subtle than day one it is also balanced. Red cherry and strawberry fruits with a eucalyptus note and some peppery spice. Some rather enjoyable tannic grip. More enjoyable than day 2. Maybe this needs some age to really show its class?