1997 Barros

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1997 Barros

Post by winesecretary »

This is VP not Colheita. Decanted 1 hr.

60% opaque, slightly browning at the rim.

Slightly reduced nose, would perhaps benefit from longer decant. But, a nice prune note among the raspberries.

Quite high toned on the palate but not bothersomely so, classical cherry stone with a flicker of Seville orange towards the end. Fairly long, and distinctly mouthwatering, finish.

+ 24 hours

It has darkened a little, 75% opaque. The prune note has become pruneaux fourre on the nose and now carries through rather deliciously onto the palate. Cherry and cocoa nibs on the warming finish. Still high-toned, but not oppressively so.

In truth I did not have particularly high expectations; but I am agreeably surprised. While it will never be a 'great' wine this is good port, certainly up to the standards of the SQVPs from the likes of Fonseca of the same era.

A decade ago AHB suggested it needed another five or ten years to come round, and he was quite right. Drink now, I think, and over the next five years, although I suspect it will survive a decade or so.