2013 Quinta do Infantado LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2013 Quinta do Infantado LBV

Post by akzy »

Decanted this unfiltered LBV and didn't produce any noticeable sediment - it's very young so I wouldn't have really expected otherwise. On the first evening, I get summer fruits on the nose but quickly obscured by fairly noticeable alcoholic fumes. There was something else there but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I was hoping after a few hours this would have lessened but unfortunately not. In the mouth it was quite acidic, and fairly high levels of tannins. Taste wise, a highly sweet instant kick of berries with a hint of cola on the after taste - I'm putting the latter down to the level of acidity. It lasts in the mouth for a while but this lingering taste was nothing to especially write home about.

My initial thoughts might be to check back in a couple of years.

I have plenty left for the rest of the week so I'll report back daily. I do hope it just needs a good bit of time to mellow out.
akzy

Re: 2013 Quinta do Infantado LBV

Post by akzy »

+1 days
Pouring from my decanter, I was greeted by a lovely, much jammier smell than day 1- a promising start. Having a good swill around the glass, many of the fumes previously described had been significantly diminished. My hopes of a more mellowed Port are increasing! The mouthfeel was generally much smoother, the tannins much more relaxed compared to the night before. The acidic hit (and the cola) had been replaced with a rather pleasant heat, and a small hint of mint towards the end.

And then the flavours vanished. Poof - gone. This was a surprising revelation.

I think the best course of action is to keep drinking until its gone, never taking a break. Given that in the same period, my decanter has developed a crack - this might be for the best. Being driven slightly mad by lockdown, I will ignore my sage advice and instead leave some for tomorrow given that the crack is high and levels are safe.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode of "What will by Port do next?".
akzy

Re: 2013 Quinta do Infantado LBV

Post by akzy »

+2 days.
The nose has lost a decent amount of the fruitiness from yesterday, certainly not bad however. The Port generally has mellowed out - I found myself tasting cherries like that found in vișinată, still with a somewhat jammy element. After hearing such a note, my drinking partner was sad when she could not.

Final thoughts - It's certainly not bad, but I feel this needs a good few years in the bottle still, even then, it might struggle to live up to some other unfiltered Ports. As for drinking now, I there's perhaps better LBVs available. For the price, you could have either a Sandeman 2015 LBV or Van Zellers 2013 LBV which I'd happily have over this any day of the week.
For my first Port score... (no pressure, but I will forever be judged on the scoring system I use)...
14/20.