1970 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Fonseca

Post by DRT »

From Magnum

On Saturday I opened my wine fridge, a more or less daily occurrence, to be welcomed by a puddle of fabulously smelling purple liquid around my feet. My heart sank when I discovered that the open neck of a magnum of F70 owned by me and some others here was staring at me from the back row of the bottom shelf. I immediately dug-out the magnum and found that the cork had been sucked inside and half the contents had escaped. Disaster.
IMG_3877.jpg
IMG_3877.jpg (92.51 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
After breaking the news to the fellow shareholders I was instructed to do what needed to be done...
IMG_3884.jpg
IMG_3884.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Disaster +12ish hours: Nose full of spice and strawberry, and a touch of vanilla. Mouthfeel big and unctuous with tons of dark fruits and grippy tannins. The finish is immense. There is some heat but this hasn’t seen much air so hopefully that will integrate nicely when I decant it tomorrow. Lovely.

Disaster +36 hours: Utterly fabulous. Even younger tasting than yesterday’s post-disaster quality control sample. Fabulous spice, acidity and tannins. Gentlemen, you know who you are, we done the right thing buying these and my only regret is that you are not all here to enjoy this one with me.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn