2007 Marks and Spencer

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by winesecretary »

Since I have enough of this to drink a bottle two or three times a year for... well, let's just say, a while, I am currently consuming another. 24 hour decant into a sealed decanter kept cold. 90% opaque dark red juice. Eucalyptus on the nose. Redcurrant front palate. The cheery reappearance of the pontefract cakes on the mid palate. Some spice on the finish. I know this is a somewhat indeterminate note, but this is very much a 'port that tastes like port'. It is not one to keep into old age, it simply doesn't have the structure. But, it is very pleasurable now and (I posit) over the next decade.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by rich_n »

How did you find the spirit quality in this? I've had two bottles so far with quite variable quality; one was soft and delicious, the other had an aggressive spirit element that masked almost everything else.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by winesecretary »

Soft and delicious on all three occasions I have popped a cork... but I do decant it for 24 hours before starting on it, and I tasted a bottle in May which JDAW brought to a blind event which was more spirity. The 2011 is more aggressive and I am not planning to broach any more of [my embarrassingly large quantity of] that for four or five years.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: 2007 Marks and Spencer

Post by rich_n »

winesecretary wrote:Soft and delicious on all three occasions I have popped a cork... but I do decant it for 24 hours before starting on it, and I tasted a bottle in May which JDAW brought to a blind event which was more spirity. The 2011 is more aggressive and I am not planning to broach any more of [my embarrassingly large quantity of] that for four or five years.
Well that's interesting, hopefully that was just a one off bottle - it was decanted for a good 6 hours for the first taste, so maybe it needs longer.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk