NV Wine Society Crusted 2006

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

NV Wine Society Crusted 2006

Post by DRT »

I bought two bottles of this in June 2014. I drunk the first shortly after delivery and recall it being a bit rough and needing more time, so the other bottle has been in my wine fridge undisturbed for six and a half years. I was right 88)

This is now silky smooth and delicious, full of ripe black fruits and retaining lots of tannic grip and acidity that would keep it going for another decade or more.

When I looked at the label and noticed it was bottled by Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers I guessed it was probably Fonseca. Then I read this tasting note from DaveRL, which agrees with my memory of the first bottle, confirms it is Fonseca and contains traces of the hope that it would improve with age. I feel quite happy with all of that 88)
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 00.35.28.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 00.35.28.png (167.16 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: NV Wine Society Crusted (bottled 2006)

Post by DaveRL »

Thanks for the note. Excellent. This makes me very happy. I bought another 6, and 6 of the 2007, which are in storage at The Wine Society. I've not thought about them for some time, but perhaps I now should. One day, when I get room at home (buying > drinking = chronic shortage of space and Mrs L seriously wondering if I have lost my marbles) I'll get them delivered :)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DaveRL wrote: 19:15 Wed 15 Jan 2020 Thanks for the note. Excellent. This makes me very happy. I bought another 6, and 6 of the 2007, which are in storage at The Wine Society. I've not thought about them for some time, but perhaps I now should. One day, when I get room at home (buying > drinking = chronic shortage of space and Mrs L seriously wondering if I have lost my marbles) I'll get them delivered :)
I wouldn't be in any rush with these, Dave, and they might well improve further.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Phew. Whilst Mrs L is aware we have wine in storage, I haven't exactly admitted how much. Always best to keep a few cards hidden up my sleeve. :)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DaveRL wrote: 22:48 Thu 16 Jan 2020 Phew. Whilst Mrs L is aware we have wine in storage, I haven't exactly admitted how much. Always best to keep a few cards hidden up my sleeve. :)
The highly complex quantum mechanics involved in the accurate quantification of "wine in storage" makes it extremely difficult to accurately articulate the true scale of the problem. This is why the term "I have a few bottles in storage" has become a very useful catch-all description that we can all use with confidence in the knowledge that we have been open and transparent.

Nothing to see here, move along please...
Ernest H. Cockburn