1955 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

1955 Graham

Post by Alex M »

Although the intent was to open a Cr63, I reviewed my stash at home and found a G55 was seeping. The decision was easy and the bottle was stood 24 hours prior to opening. This bottle was one of three purchased from Cheffins in December 2018, the provenance being a Cambridge college cellar. There was not much of a wax capsule covering the top, just a thin brittle disc and below it what looked and felt like black chewing gum. The cork nearly came out in one piece. The wine was decanted for 3 hours and drank throughout the evening.

D+0. Quite a light wine, approximately 60% opacity. It smells of strongly of alcohol/spirit and tastes like it too. Not a lot else there, my hopes are not up.

D+4. This has changed for the better. Lots of dark fruits/berries have emerged. Possibly even some eucalyptus and currants. It smells fruity and the spirit has really blown away. Smooth and refined with a finish that just goes on and on.

D+6. A much softer wine. Light, berries still evident but a bit more caramel present. The finish has faded slightly. Not much left in the decanter.

In summary, a great port at its peak. Recommended decant time 3-4 hours. I'm saddened that I only have one bottle left as I think this is port aged to just where I like it. 95/100.
Attachments
IMG_4802.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 3065 times