NV Quinta das Lamelas White 30YO (bottled 2017)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

NV Quinta das Lamelas White 30YO (bottled 2017)

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In my new found enthusiasm for White Port I have been raiding local (and not so local) retailers and emptying out cupboards where I’ve been hiding things which were not red and bottle matured. This is one such (50cl) bottle.

A deep chestnut brown, 50% opaque. Rich beef extract and black treacle on the nose, thick and inviting. Thick texture and a heavy density on the palate, but with a wonderful blood orange acidity which highlights the unexpected tannins in this wine. The palate changes and shows hints of the treacle, but with a rich fruit cocktail. Sticky dates rub shoulders with the blood orange on the aftertaste and finish, ending with a baked chocolate orange biscuit. So many layers of flavour, this is wonderful Port; a sip lasts half an hour with all the flavours that flow over the palate. 93/100. Drunk 06-Jun-2019.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.