2017 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2017 Niepoort

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep purple in colour with an opaque centre and a narrow rim. Superb blackcurrant fruit on the nose, very sweet and perfectly ripe with a lovely esteva perfume. A wonderful balance on the entry with the fruit leading; fruit which is ripe and clean with no over-ripeness. Astonishing perfumed tannins on the mid-palate; ripe and fine-grained but astonishingly well integrated into the fruit. A fabulous perfume to the fruit. The aftertaste has a slight chewiness to the fruit, fruit which fades in and out of the finish, lingering for ages and dancing with the gentle green-edged tannins.

This is a beautiful wine with a wonderful balance of clean, pure fruit but with powerful tannins. The purity and elegance of the wine is amazing - and makes this very special. 94-96/100. Tasted 11 April 2019. Decanted 1 hour.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2017 Niepoort

Post by akzy »

Tried this at bft. I didn't make notes for this but I have it as the highlight of the vintage table. I shall certainly be trying to get a case.