1970 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

1970 Graham

Post by richmills »

Darker than I was expecting for a nearly 50 year old port, and on first taste had a slightl astringency. But I needn't have worried; after 3 hours it was delicious with ripe red berry flavours, soft and gentle tannins and just the right amount of heat. Wonderful mature port that was a great accompaniment to the Christmas pudding and held together in the decanter right through until the next day.

Some might think it still has further improvement to come. but for me this was perfect exactly where it is and I'm very glad I have another couple of bottles from the same source stashed away.

I've had it in my head that Grahams isn't my favourite house and that I prefer bigger ports like Taylors, but I think I need to reevaluate that. I'm now thinking that for me a Grahams from a good vintage is a port that really starts to come good at around 50 years old.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1970 Graham

Post by flash_uk »

richmills wrote: 11:54 Sun 30 Dec 2018 a Grahams from a good vintage is a port that really starts to come good at around 50 years old.
Completely agree 😀