2016 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2016 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Another intense and deep wine at the tasting showing little on the nose. Less intense on the palate than the full Vesuvio blend but with much more grip and greater complexity. The tannins show up very strongly on the late palate, which demonstrates a great balance. The finish is intense; deep, sweet, rich and powerful. 92-94.

Tasted 12 September 2018.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: 2016 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Post by Doggett »

VC16 Deep Ruby Red. Very slight purple tinge to the rim, more so than the standard Vesuvio. Softer on the nose than the standard release but a much richer and complex palate. Very silky smooth, rich, sweet but with wonderful balance and lots of red and black fruit showing. My WOTN. It really was delicious, with a wonderful texture, together with a very long finish. The structure was there, the fruit was there and the balance spot on. If I had the money to invest, I believe this will show wonderfully in the next 25-100 years.
96 Points
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: 2016 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Post by flash_uk »

90% opacity, dark purple. Very intense nose, strawberry and blackberry. Full, rich and very fruity mouthfeel. Medium level of tannin and medium coarseness. Blackberry and damson, acidity low-medium. Liked this one a lot.