1970 Avery

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Avery

Post by PhilW »

A fascinating bottle, from Averys of Bristol. Which shipper(s) provided the wine(s) for this port is not currently known to TPF, though at least one previous year is believed to be a blend, so this may also be. The bottle and wine was in excellent condition. On decanting the colour was a good mid-deep red, with lovely nose of soft fruits.

At D+0h tasting an initial sample initially showed soft gentle flavours in the style of an older Sandeman or perhaps a Niepoort '77, a brief odd sharp note , and then developing in the mouth with a strong Taylor-like structured backbone coming in, with a good long finish.

At D+4h the Taylor-like aspect seemed much more dominant, and the wine was now more settled and coherent overall; at this point I could believe it might be straight Taylor '70, though with the earlier different style I would still guess at another component being present; though this may be me being influenced by "knowledge" (belief) of the blend used for the '63.

At D+24h this is less well balanced but still ok, Taylor-style dominating; At D+48h a small amount remaining seemed to have the Taylor flavour diminished, and a very sweet red cherry remaining, a more Graham-like aspect. However, definitely best drunk on first evening after decant.

In any case a very enjoyable port; and for the record I'm guessing a 2:1 of Taylor and Sandeman, though we may never know.

Rating: vg+