1986 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Tarne
Cheap Ruby

1986 Taylor Vargellas

Post by Tarne »

75% opaque. In addition to violets there was very faint acrid smoke on the nose - it took ages to recall it was reminiscent of a burnt out alternator, thankfully it didn’t translate into an unpleasant taste. A delicate mid sweet wine showing red fruit flavours, the most predominant of which was pomegranate and a long aftertaste. Except for the significant heat which surprised me (probably a consequence of too many L B V’s and too few bottles of Vintage) but cooled quickly it was well balanced and a delicious treat.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1986 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Andy Velebil »

Actually I find Vargellas has what I call "Vargellas spirit". It's a fairly normal thing for Vargellas to have some alcohol that shows. No idea what causes it but it's been there until all but some more recent vintages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tarne
Cheap Ruby

Re: 1986 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Tarne »

Tasting note update.

Thank you for the "Vargellas spirit" comment Andy.

I saved two glasses to taste on the second day - No "burnt out alternator" in fact almost no nose; 90% of the "significant heat" had disappeared and that which was noticeable on the palate rapidly dissipated; red fruits still dominated but no hint of pomegranate which had been supplanted by dark cherry.

Except for the disappointing lack of aroma it was more enjoyable.

The last glass contained enough crust to build a sandcastle, thankfully it wasn't mine but in the seasonal spirit of "...... goodwill to all men" I offered to share.