1991 Morgan

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1991 Morgan

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A lovely mature brick-red colour; 95% opaque. Delicious on the nose, smelling of slightly caramelised cranberries. Balanced and delicate entry, bringing a mid-palate that is full of red licorice and smokey fruit. A strong dose of acidity and aniseed and some chocolate tannins still trying to lurk in the background. An interesting sweet / bitter aftertaste of cranberries leads to a long finish of aniseed balls and black licorice. Nice port, still quite youthful and surprisingly robust. Not in a hurry to be drunk. 89/100. 01-Jul-17. Decanted 4 hours.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Re: 1991 Morgan

Post by Christopher »

Just reread this tasting note. I fear the Morgan 91 is the definition of a port drunk to young. As a group we must have had over a Pipe at one point, I fear we don’t have much left!
I personally have 18 bottles left at an in bond cost of £6.19 per bottle. This is 7.5% of my original purchase. A large part of of my purchase I let friends have at cost. I fear I may have over generous!
I attended the Auction with AHB at Christie’s where the Morgan stock was being sold and got rather carried away although in hindsight I should have got more carried away!
Other purchases on that day were Croft 2000, Morgan 85,63 and 45.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1991 Morgan

Post by DRT »

Christopher wrote: 16:00 Wed 31 Oct 2018 Just reread this tasting note. I fear the Morgan 91 is the definition of a port drunk to young. As a group we must have had over a Pipe at one point, I fear we don’t have much left!
That is simply following the tradition of how clubs and other institutions would drink their Vintage Port. Julian's book is full of examples of Wine Committee minutes recording entire stocks of a particular wine to be "sent to table".

We just missed out the steps of buying it young and storing it for 20 years.

And, to be fair, it was a good VP, not a great VP, so probably best drunk when it was rather than having a massive stock of tired old bottles
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn