1985 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1985 Warre

Post by LGTrotter »

I am a little surprised that this seems to be the first note I have written on this wine. Looking back at my notebooks I have only 4 notes, although I could have sworn I have had it many more times than this.

Anyway, to the wine. On the first night it was rather as I think of it, soft and sweet. A bit of a lull in the middle of the palate and something like strawberry jam on the finish. A respectable port but lacking somehow.

On the second night it was more recognisably Warre, and I think much better. A peppery bite to it and a nice acidity to offset the sweetness. It looked darker and the tannins seemed more pronounced. There was a waft of plums to the finish which was most pleasant. All this leads me to believe two things. Firstly if you are going to drink it now give it a good decant time, eight hours would be my guess. Secondly it may be worth keeping for a few more years. 88 points the first night and 91 on the second.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1985 Warre

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I do have a soft spot for this port. Years ago — in the '90s — I was working in Victoria, just round the corner from an Andre Simon shop. At some point while I was working there the Lloyds of London collapse occurred and a number of wealthy people had to liquidate their assets fairly quickly to answer the insurance cash calls. One Name had clearly bought quite a lot of Warre 1985 in half bottles. These appeared in the Andre Simon shop @ £1.89 per half bottle.

I bought quite a few. I enjoyed nearly all of them. I have one left. It is a delicious port and my experience echoes yours — it's better the second night than on the first.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1985 Warre

Post by DRT »

I am rather jealous that you had the opportunity to visit an André Simon shop.

I have almost all of his 104 books :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn