1980 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1980 Warre

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A bottle bought from the Bar Douro wine list, popped and poured at 17.00 and drunk over the following 2-3 hours. A bottle appearing to be recently released with a very new cork having little penetration of the port.

Deep red colour with a medium rim, very youthful appearance; this has no brown or bricking in the colour but is the same colour as a 1997 vintage port. After 30 minutes in the glass this is quite closed on the nose showing a little mint and pepper but nothing by way of fruit. Sweet on the palate, with lots of brooding bramble fruit. The mid-palate is an overwhelming wave of fruit with a mass of charcoal tannin and powerful acidity yet every breath of air drawn over the palate releases a beautiful violet flower perfume. A touch fiery on the aftertaste before a huge finish of concentrated blackcurrant, bitter black chocolate and black licorice - and fresh grass making an appearance a minute into the finish. This is a stunning port, incredibly youthful yet with the fruit and structure to last another 50+ years. Anyone building a port cellar who wants a port for life should buy some of these.

I timed the finish as I wrote this tasting note. I was still tasting the licorice and chocolate lining of my mouth over four minutes!

30 minutes later, the chocolate had mellowed slightly and the blackcurrant was changing into a sweet black cherry. 95/100. 21-Aug-17. 1 hour decant.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1980 Warre

Post by PhilW »

A very good tasting note - and to me a surprisingly high score for W80 based on previous bottles; it tempts me to visit to try another from the same source...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1980 Warre

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I was very surprised at the quality of this specific bottle, which was ex-cellars about a year before I drank it.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.