1970 Gould Campbell

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

1970 Gould Campbell

Post by flash_uk »

A bottle picked up at Bushey Auctions a few years ago as part of a mixed lot. One can never be sure how well a bottle like this has been cared for, though in this case the label was in good nick, fill level into neck, capsule mostly intact. This is the bottle I had previously planned to bring to an "English bottled" tasting.

55% opacity, rich red. Nose of dusty, mature, ripe redcurrants, and hints of leather. In the mouth, fresh, lively entry, heat late on the palate. Red fruits, good sweetness and good acidity. Finish has a little bitterness behind the sweet fruit. Tannins are very faded. Lovely mature port, but not quite in balance. Maybe on a plateau or on the way downhill. That said, I wonder if I'd left this another 10 years would it evolve to where the '60s currently are...softer and more rounded, with the last remnants of fruit still showing. Who knows!