1970 Avery

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

1970 Avery

Post by CPR 1 »

Purchased in the recent (Oct 16) Christies sale from the Avery family cellar.

Glorious bright ruby red 50% opaque. Lots of red fruits, very full with soft tannin noticeable and a little heat. No idea what the blend was but excellent port with much life left in it which made a good accompaniment to the film 'Sour Grapes'.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1970 Avery

Post by PhilW »

Interesting; I would very much like to taste this port, along with it's '63 predecessor which I have never tried but has an excellent reputation also, and which I understand was a 2:2:1 ratio blend of Fonseca:Sandeman:Taylor respectively.

I love the idea of them trying to out-blend the originals, and would be intrigued to try it. Perhaps an obvious idea for a tasting, if we have the right wines: The Avery '63 and its components, F63, S63, T63; The Avery '70 and its components (if we can find out from the Avery family what their blend mix was for that year (indeed if we're asking, we should at least ask for 70, perhaps '60,'63,'66,'70, or more if they are willing to discuss and share historical details of interest to port geeks!). Perhaps if we invited a family member to such a tasting also?
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Re: 1970 Avery

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

PhilW wrote:Interesting; I would very much like to taste this port, along with it's '63 predecessor which I have never tried but has an excellent reputation also, and which I understand was a 2:2:1 ratio blend of Fonseca:Sandeman:Taylor respectively.

I love the idea of them trying to out-blend the originals, and would be intrigued to try it. Perhaps an obvious idea for a tasting, if we have the right wines: The Avery '63 and its components, F63, S63, T63; The Avery '70 and its components (if we can find out from the Avery family what their blend mix was for that year (indeed if we're asking, we should at least ask for 70, perhaps '60,'63,'66,'70, or more if they are willing to discuss and share historical details of interest to port geeks!). Perhaps if we invited a family member to such a tasting also?
Sounds like a wonderful idea to me (although I don't live in the UK, so there would be travel involved). I happen to have some bottles of Avery 1963 (bought 12 bottles in early 2014).