Unopened Box of 1975 Vintage Fonseca

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Laura27
Cruz Ruby

Unopened Box of 1975 Vintage Fonseca

Post by Laura27 »

Hi,

I'm thinking of selling the above box and I was looking for your advice on how much you think I should sell it for.

It is currently in our garage, for the past 3 years it was in the house and prior to that it was in a cellar.

Thank you

Laura
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Unopened Box of 1975 Vintage Fonseca

Post by DRT »

Hi Laura,

Welcome to :tpf:

1975 was not the best of years for Vintage Port but the fact that this is an unopened case and it is 2015 you might benefit from the 40th birthday market.

The biggest problem you have is that the case has been stored in a garage for three years. This is not good as the temperature variation during the day and throughout the year could spell disaster for what is already a relatively fragile wine.

Could you please tell us where you are as someone here might be willing to either make an offer or pop over and inspect the case/bottles and advise you on how best to sell them.

In terms of value, you should not expect an enormous sum, perhaps £300-£400 if you can find someone willing to take the risk on the storage issue.

Best of luck.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Laura27
Cruz Ruby

Post by Laura27 »

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your reply.

Would it be better to keep it inside? I no longer have a cellar but have a loft would that be better or is it too late?

I'm in Derby.

Thank you

Laura
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Cross-linking threads: also see To sell or not to sell 1975 vintage port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Laura27 wrote:Would it be better to keep it inside? I no longer have a cellar but have a loft would that be better or is it too late?
Laura, if the wine has been damaged by extremes of temperature it will have happened by now and is unrecoverable. That doesn't mean the wine will be undrinkable, but it seriously affects its re-sale value given the risk that the buyer is taking. A loft would be many times worse than a garage :?

Do you or anyone else in the family drink Port? Or red wine? Having been reminded by JDAW of your previous post here I would seriously consider using this case to toast your grandad amongst those who knew him on whichever significant anniversary you think is appropriate for the next 12 years or more. This case is not going to make you rich, but it might make you smile :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn