Is it misleading to sell a 79-88 colheita as 36 yo?

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Is it misleading to sell a 79-88 colheita as 36 yo?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:The thing is, there's not really a "catch-all" lower category for "failed" Colheitas like there is for Vintage Port. "Failed" VP could be resubmitted as LBV, or failing that as Ruby. Base-level Tawny Ports are made differently, so a "failed" Colheita doesn't automatically fit. I suppose they could be used for blending into TWAIOA, though.
Yes there is. It's called resubmitting the same Port again in two weeks time and getting an approval the second time around :mrgreen:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Ray is correct. In the USA it's labeled as "40 Year old." The rest of the world is "Over 40 Years old." In the States it's because it has to be an exact number. Apparently the TTB/ATF can't handle non-exact numbers :lol:
I can never remember, because it doesn't seem to be consistent. :lol: I just remember it's supposed to be one way here and the other way everywhere else!

For example, right now in my cellar I have just one single bottle labeled "Over 40 Years Old" and it's a Noval that I know I bought in the US and its label is only in English. All of the rest of the bottles say just "40" and include all of my S. Leonardos which are Portuguese-market bottles (with Portuguese labels "40 Anos" and no English) as well as the remains of the case of Romaneira which were presumably also Portuguese-market direct from the Quinta but have had English import back labels applied. My Kopkes and Quevedos are all US-market and just say "40".

I guess we'll see what the brand new US-market S. Leonardo bottles from the buying opportunity say in a couple of months, eh?
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

If you peal off that Quevedo label (as some were relabeled for the U.S.) it says something diff under.

And you can find over 40 labels here. Those have been imported via the gray market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Another good example of bad cataloguing here. Item description lists it as "Ferreira vintage port 1963", the photo shows a bottle of Ferreira 10 year old tawny, bottled in 1963; just a *slight* difference between those two...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

PhilW wrote:Another good example of bad cataloguing here. Item description lists it as "Ferreira vintage port 1963", the photo shows a bottle of Ferreira 10 year old tawny, bottled in 1963; just a *slight* difference between those two...
They were close, no?