Opinions on a Dow's Vertical

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Phillyant23
Cruz Ruby

Opinions on a Dow's Vertical

Post by Phillyant23 »

Purchasing a new home and was thinking I could get a few extras for the home if I created a 2000s Dow's Vintage Port Vertical. One bottle each of 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2011. I have enough of each that losing one bottle of each would hardly be noticed. The question I pose is: what do you think a fair price for the 4 bottle lot would be? Would it even be worth it? Appreciate the feedback.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Opinions on a Dow's Vertical

Post by SushiNorth »

Phillyant23 wrote:Purchasing a new home and was thinking I could get a few extras for the home if I created a 2000s Dow's Vintage Port Vertical. One bottle each of 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2011. I have enough of each that losing one bottle of each would hardly be noticed. The question I pose is: what do you think a fair price for the 4 bottle lot would be? Would it even be worth it? Appreciate the feedback.
Honestly, i think you will have a harder time selling verticals <25yrs age than if you were to sell a case of one of them. A better bet might be to arrange a tasting in your area and use the proceeds to help buy a few extras for the home.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I tend to agree with Sushi North. I think there would be very little demand for a 2000s Dow vertical. You might be able to do this in 30 years time, but not today.

If you really want those extras for the house then sell a case or two rather than a vertical.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I agree with SushiNorth and AHB. A recent vertical isn't as appealing as an older one (or a larger one), in part because it still easy to put a recent, 4-bottle vertical together by shopping online.

For example, I could get all 4 of those bottles in the US for ~$300 at retail. Prices in the UK are typically lower than in the US, but the amount of the difference can vary quite a bit. We generally advise that you should only expect to receive 50% to 70% of retail in a direct person-to-person sale, so you probably shouldn't expect to receive more than $150-$210. This is due to the increased risk that is assumed by the buyer when there is no store to which the buyer can return an off bottle.

As SushiNorth and AHB have said, you will probably have an easier time selling a full case of any of those Ports.
Glenn Elliott