Advice on price/selling port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
wolwol
Cruz Ruby

Advice on price/selling port

Post by wolwol »

I have recently been clearing my late father in law's wine cellar and found three bottles of port which my wife and I would like to sell and send the money to charity as, although we drink port, we would probably not know the difference between decent vintages (if this is what these are ) and a bottle of LBV which is what we usually drink.
The cellar is a space created under his house (it is built on a slope ) and is properly racked out. I have been unable to get photos down to the small number of bytes to upload but could email them to anyone if required. The bottles are Grahams finest reserve 1966; Burmester extra selected 1963 bottled 1965 and Warres 1963 with Army and Navy stores on the label. I should be grateful of any views on price, selling etc - or are they not worth selling and should we just glug the lot?
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (74.69 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Last edited by wolwol on 18:52 Thu 26 Feb 2015, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Advice on price/selling port

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome to :tpf:. You’re come to the right place.

Uploading should now work. But if it doesn’t, or is just too befuddling, email them to me (contact details) and I’ll cope for you.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

wolwol wrote:I have recently been clearing my late father in law's wine cellar and found three bottles of port which my wife and I would like to sell and send the money to charity as, although we drink port, we would probably not know the difference between decent vintages (if this is what these are ) and a bottle of LBV which is what we usually drink.
The cellar is a space created under his house (it is built on a slope ) and is properly racked out. I have been unable to get photos down to the small number of bytes to upload but could email them to anyone if required. The bottles are Grahams finest reserve 1966; Burmester extra selected 1963 bottled 1965 and Warres 1963 with Army and Navy stores on the label. I should be grateful of any views on price, selling etc - or are they not worth selling and should we just glug the lot?
An alternative plan:

You have said you and your wife enjoy Port so I am sure you will enjoy these. You will probably also notice how much better they are than LBV, provided the storage has been adequate to allow them to keep well.

Drink and enjoy them, toasting your father-in-law with each bottle, and make a modest donation to charity each time you do so.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

wolwol wrote:I have recently been clearing my late father in law's wine cellar and found three bottles of port which my wife and I would like to sell and send the money to charity as, although we drink port, we would probably not know the difference between decent vintages (if this is what these are ) and a bottle of LBV which is what we usually drink.
Hi and welcome to TPF. The bottles you have are nice bottles, if they have been kept well; 1963 and 1966 are both good years, and Warre/Graham are good producers, Burmester a lesser brand. Our usual recommendation would be to drink them yourselves especially if you like port at all, but if you do decide you still want to sell, then please let us know roughly where you are located, and please do try again to post pics of the bottles (as a guide, 20% of original size usually works). If it is not visible in the photos, a description of the level of the liquid in the bottle would also be helpful (usually visible using a bright LED or similar torch through the bottle).
wolwol
Cruz Ruby

Post by wolwol »

I believe I have now managed to upload a photo onto the original post which is duplicated here together with another 2 showing the tops and the level of the port in the bottle for the Warre's and the Graham's but the Burmester is too dark a bottle. Looking at that with a LED behind it I can see that it is about 15mm above where the neck widens out. I hope this helps.

We will dispose of the port if it is a reasonable value and we are situated in Hurstpierpoint which is about 10 miles north of Brighton, Sussex.
Attachments
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG (25.83 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
photo 2-001.JPG
photo 2-001.JPG (59.61 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (74.69 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Those are very nice looking bottles with good levels and I think you will be able to find a buyer.

As a rough guide each of them are probably worth £120-£150 at full retail price. You should be able to get at least 50% of that by selling privately, perhaps a little more if you find someone who is really keen, so you are probably looking at around £200 for the three bottles.

Good luck.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi, thank you for posting the photos, very helpful. I agree with Derek regarding the estimate, and have sent you a PM.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If it should be relevant, I have relatives not far from Hurstpierpoint, to whom delivery could be made, or who could perhaps collect.