Graham's 1983 Vintage Port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
a_nelson86
Cruz Ruby

Graham's 1983 Vintage Port

Post by a_nelson86 »

My mother has a 12 bottle case of Graham's 1983 Vintage Port, imported by Matthew Clark & Sons. it has been stored properly in a wine cellar. She would like to know if it is worth selling, or if we should just enjoy it. Any advice on the likely price? Also is it worth more as a case or is it just the same as selling 12 individual bottles?

Thanks in advance
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Graham's 1983 Vintage Port

Post by LGTrotter »

Hello.

The standard advice is half retail price, which can be found on 'Wine Searcher' although this can give rather a broad range of prices. Whole cases are supposed to be favoured, particularly in the original wooden box, "owc" as it is listed in catalogues. I can't imagine the price you will get for this will be very much, but it is a wine that some here may want. Read the advice in the stickie at the top of this thread which will give you some more pointers.

If you want to try and sell it here pictures and a location would be helpful.

Good luck with it whatever you decide, but my standard advice is drink it.

Owen.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

You have a very nice Port - arguably the best Vintage Port from 1983, though certainly among the best from that vintage. Current retail price is about $80 per bottle, or roughly 55 GBP. In a private sale you might get 30 GBP per bottle.

As Owen said, the original wood case is a perk though it really doesn't increase the overall value significantly.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Excellent - another 1983 disagreement begins :smile:

As you will see from the above posts there are a variety of views about the general merits of the 1983 vintage. It has never received the hype of some other vintages (I think for good reason) but that doesn't make it bad Port. Graham's 1983 is good vintage port, but it is not great vintage port. For that reason I think you should drink and enjoy it rather than trying to selling it. I think the price (£30) that Glenn mentions is fair. If you enjoy port there are not many you would find at that price in a wine merchant that would be better than what you already have.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
a_nelson86
Cruz Ruby

Post by a_nelson86 »

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll buy the case from her and have it myself.

One more question; when is the peak time to drink this port, has it reached it's peak yet?

Thanks
Andy
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

a_nelson86 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I think I'll buy the case from her and have it myself.

One more question; when is the peak time to drink this port, has it reached it's peak yet?
That sounds like a good plan. Yes, this port is mature and ready for drinking. The "peak" is highly debateable (especially on a forum of port geeks!) but in broad terms the typical mature drinking window for vintage port could be considered to start at 20-25 years old, and last to 40-50 years old (or more) if well cellared. Your port is currently 32 years old, so definitely in a good place to enjoy; Assuming it is currently in good condition and has been stored well until now, then it could easily be enjoyed over the next 10-15 years provided you continue to store it well.
a_nelson86
Cruz Ruby

Post by a_nelson86 »

Thanks for the info PhilW

Yeah, I should have known better than to ask an open question like that on a forum.

Cheers
Andy