Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
soopersoo
Cruz Ruby

Post by soopersoo »

I have found a bottle of port in the garage. It is a green bottle, capsule only just intact, filled up to the shoulder.
The label is black with a white patch saying PORT
FONSECA VINTAGE 1963
Produce of Portugal
Shipped and Bottled by
CHARLES KINLOCH & CO LTD
LONDON NW10

The label is a bit tatty and the bottle is dusty.
Not sure about a photo-maybe I could ask someone who is not a technophobe?

thanks
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1963

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf:

The might be a fabulous bottle of Port but it is worrying that you found it in a garage.

Was it standing up or lying down? Does the garage have a relatively stable temperature or is it like most garages with lots of day/night and seasonal variation? This is likely to seriously affect what anyone would be prepared to pay for it and I think you should probably consider opening it on a special occasion in the hope that it is fine rather than selling what could be a very spoiled bottle of Port.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
soopersoo
Cruz Ruby

Post by soopersoo »

Oh dear, I'm on the wagon! The garage never gets hot as it is crammed with boxes etc so ............?

Maybe when someone is visiting sunny Suffolk they could try it and buy it if it tastes ok?

Otherwise I'm happy to pour it down the sink and make a cup of tea to take the nasty taste away, ha!

Thank you

sue
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sue,

Are you on the wagon for insurmountable reasons or would there be an opportunity to open it to share with friends and just have a small glass? If that is possible then that is what I think you should do.

Please don't pour it down the sink. Someone might be willing to take the risk but I suspect it would be at a fraction of the £200 retail price of this bottle.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

We have a member, a regular at our tastings, who spends his weekends in Suffolk. Perhaps he might call by and take a look...
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:We have a member, a regular at our tastings, who spends his weekends in Suffolk. Perhaps he might call by and take a look...
Are you anywhere near Cotton/Bacton in Suffolk?