Selling 1977 Taylor's vintage port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
HettyBlackmore
Cruz Ruby

Selling 1977 Taylor's vintage port

Post by HettyBlackmore »

Hi there,

I currently own an unopened case of 12 bottles of Taylors 1977 vintage port that was given to me as a christening gift. I'm interested in finding out if it has any particular value and after a little bit of googling quickly realised this was the best place to ask for advice and possibly even sell the port.

I've attached three photos of the case (side, end and top). Up until 2010 it was stored with my father's wine in a cool dark cupboard, in an area of the house that was unused and unheated. Not perfect, I know, but the temperature was reasonably consistent. Since then it has been stored in the cupboard under our stairs. I am located in Bristol, UK.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me with regards value and the best way to Sell the port.

Thanks in advance,
HettyImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Selling 1977 Taylor's vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Taylor 1977 is a very good port although one which, sadly, suffers from a lot of bottle variation and so can be very frustrating - you know it can be an excellent glass of wine but so many times you open a bottle and find it spoiled by a bad cork, a dirty bottling line or just something that flattens the wine and turns a great wine into a mediocre glassful.

Having said that, it will sell easily through an auction or a broker. Where are you based? We might be able to point you towards a company who is local to you. The intact case could fetch £500-600 net after deducting commissions you would have to pay to the seller.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
HettyBlackmore
Cruz Ruby

Re: Selling 1977 Taylor's vintage port

Post by HettyBlackmore »

Thanks for the reply. Contacted a few auction houses and they quoted similar figures to yourself - they were across the country - we are based in Bristol. Bizarrely, we've had an offer just above the value you mentioned from a colleague when I mentioned it in passing, so will probably look to follow that up.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.