PORT TO SELL THAT CAN'T GO TO NZ!

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
BRETTBUR
Cruz Ruby

PORT TO SELL THAT CAN'T GO TO NZ!

Post by BRETTBUR »

Hi a family friend was a wine and port collector and he gave these bottles to me many years ago. They have been stored in my cool garage (upright) for the last 14 years and in lofts/garages before that. They need a new home as we are moving to NZ in April.

Martinez 75 x3 bottles
Quinta De Roeda 69 x1
Croft 63 x1
Warres 75 x7
Quinta Do Cachao 77 x1

All have wax seals intact and labels although a couple of the Warres labels are partly missing.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: PORT TO SELL THAT CAN'T GO TO NZ!

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome to :tpf:.

You might want to start by reading the Standard advice to would-be vendors, which says that “Port, even old Port, is less valuable than you might be hoping.” This is even more true of 1975s, which are ten of your thirteen bottles. Have you considered drinking them? (April is thirteen weeks away, suggesting an very pleasant drinking regimen.) Or perhaps giving them to or sharing them with friends?

Failing which, please say where you are.
BRETTBUR
Cruz Ruby

Post by BRETTBUR »

Hi I'm near Salisbury.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi,

Unfortunately, the storage conditions you describe are probably as bad as it gets. Vintage Port needs to be stored lying down to prevent the corks drying out and the day/night and seasonal temperature variations in garages and lofts is far too extreme to store Port safely. This seriously impacts the value of your bottles and I would be surprised if you would achieve the 50% of retail price that we normally quote.

I agree with Julian's recommendation. You should either drink them or give them to friends/family.

Best of luck in New Zealand.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

BRETTBUR wrote:Hi a family friend was a wine and port collector and he gave these bottles to me many years ago. They have been stored in my cool garage (upright) for the last 14 years and in lofts/garages before that. They need a new home as we are moving to NZ in April.

Martinez 75 x3 bottles
Quinta De Roeda 69 x1
Croft 63 x1
Warres 75 x7
Quinta Do Cachao 77 x1

All have wax seals intact and labels although a couple of the Warres labels are partly missing.
DRT is correct that the storage you describe (loft/garages and upright storage) means that the bottles are very unlikely to still be in good condition; As a consequence there may well not be much interest from people here, even at very low price. Sorry not to be able to be more positive.

One thing struck me from your list - I'm not aware of a 1969 Roeda - is this definitely the right year? (there was a 1967 Roeda, which would have been bottled in 1969). If this actually is a Roeda 1969 then it could be of interest simply due to being unusual, even if there is high risk of it being in poor condition, in which case a photo would be appreciated.
BRETTBUR
Cruz Ruby

Post by BRETTBUR »

You are right it's a 67 bottled in 69.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Can you drop them off in Australia en route? I think I am only half joking :)