Smith Woodhouse 1977

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
EdKane
Cruz Ruby

Smith Woodhouse 1977

Post by EdKane »

Hello there,

I have 9 bottles of Smith Woodhouse 1977 I'm considering selling.

Has been in our possession since 1984 ish. My Dad has always stored it with the rest of his wine. We've had several homes over the years, so some of the time it's been in the cellared, more recently not, however I have been assured it has been looked after.

It's currently at my place in London. I have attached a photo, showing the best and worst examples of label quality.

Please do get in touch if you're interested.

Ed
IMAG0199 copy.jpg
IMAG0199 copy.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 7301 times
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Smith Woodhouse 1977

Post by djewesbury »

Hello and welcome. Do you have any idea of fill level in the 9 bottles? And is there any staining or discolouration around the paper seals at the capsule?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Where in London are you? SW 77 is a port I've tried and liked, and I have certainly considered buying some.
EdKane
Cruz Ruby

Post by EdKane »

Evening.

Just checked the fill level and they all seem to be slightly above the bottom of the white paper label that's attached to the seal at the top of the bottle.

There is no discolouration around the seal (I imagine you're looking for signs of leakage?) They all look much the same as the ones picture.

I'm in SW9. Sunny Brixton.

Thanks,

Ed
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Thanks Ed, these sound very good. We have an avid port consumer who is in sunny Streatham!

Have you read our standard notes to sellers? Assuming a current retail price of about £70 for SW77, we'd normally advise that these would sell for 50% of that = £35 each or £315 in total.

Does that seem very little? If you don't particularly need the cash, consider holding on to these and drinking them!
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:We have an avid port consumer who is in sunny Streatham!
I’m the International Streatham Representative, and it’s not sunny now.

Willing to collect and then quality-control a subset of the bottles.
djewesbury wrote:Have you read our standard notes to sellers?
Link.
djewesbury wrote:consider holding on to these and drinking them!
With me!
EdKane
Cruz Ruby

Post by EdKane »

Morning all!

Yes I did have a read over the notes. I was interested in seeing what people would be prepared to pay for them thanks for letting me know. Having thought about it now, I'm not sure I'd want to let them go for as little as half their value. Although I'm not a huge port drinker at this stage of my life, it does seem a bit of waste.

If I could get £50 a bottle for them I could probably be persuaded I reckon. Not sure if it's how things are done around here but that seems like a fairly good deal for both sides to me!

Thanks!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Hi Ed,

It isn't that we try to drive a hard bargain for the sake of it but simply that that's what any of us would get for port we might try to sell (privately, at auction and so on). But you can but see if anyone steps forward. The thing to bear in mind is what price someone might reasonably expect to get this for on a good day at auction.
Cheers
Daniel
Daniel J.
EdKane
Cruz Ruby

Post by EdKane »

All sounds fair enough. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your advice.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Dear Ed,

That is a very nice port you have and I can certainly see why you would think that £50 a bottle sounds a bit more like it. However I have just paid £51 a bottle for this from Berry bros Rudd who are not renowned for being cheap and should any of them turn out to be faulty I shall be able to get my money back, not something a private seller can offer.

So I say drink them, or at least try one of them. If you had an unbroken case it would be worth preserving it whole but nine might as well become eight, but beware if you do like it, it can become habit forming...

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

Owen.
EdKane
Cruz Ruby

Post by EdKane »

Hey all.

Could do with raising a few quid over the next couple of weeks so happy to let a few of these go at £35 if anyone is still interested.

Thanks!