Small collection of Cockburns/Taylor vintage ports for sale.

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
ChaDa
Cruz Ruby

Small collection of Cockburns/Taylor vintage ports for sale.

Post by ChaDa »

Hi there, I'm new here.

I was bought some port as a christening present and now I am moving house and wish to free up the space so that someone else may enjoy the port. It was always the plan to sell them but I never got around to it until now. They have been cellared and there is no sign of seepage.

I have 4 bottles of Cockburns 1970 vintage port, 2 bottles of Taylors 1970 vintage port and 1 bottle of Cockburns 1960 vintage port that I wish to sell.

I am based in North Wales so would be willing to deliver for a fee, or collection is also available (as is post - but not sure of costs etc.)

Many thanks
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Small Cockburns/Taylor vintage ports for sale.

Post by djewesbury »

Hi ChaDa, welcome to :tpf: !

Have you read our Standard Advice to Would-Be Vendors? If so you will know that the main question is, are you sure you don't want to drink any of these?

If you've already settled that question, then the main item of knowledge you'll have gleaned from our Standard Advice is that you shouldn't expect to get a full retail price for your port by selling privately - just because retailers include their own margins, and because they will guarantee bottles and give some idea of provenance, and so on and on. This is a sad fact, but it is a fact nonetheless.

Having said all that these are potentially some good bottles, and you may get a reasonable price selling them together at auction. Others here will advise on what's closest to you; perhaps Straker Chadwick in Abergavenny (I know, it's the other side of Wales, but it might be worth it since they have regular wine auctions).

If you'd like to upload some pictures of the bottles, showing the fill levels as best you can, and the state of the capsules, then there will probably be some interest here too (for instance, from me). There is some advice on how to upload photos here.

Thanks, and good luck!
Daniel
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...