Dow 77

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Chris H
Cruz Ruby

Dow 77

Post by Chris H »

I have two cases of Dow 77 which I believe are ready to drink now. I am looking to sell one case. The Port has been stored with Berry Bros since I was given it in 1985. I'm not sure I'm going to get vfm selling it to them and seek advice!!!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Dow 77

Post by Andy Velebil »

Problem is this port has A very high rate of TCA (corked) so don't expect too much in the way of an offer here. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Berrys do a thing called BBX. It's an online broking service and it seems to attract slightly higher prices than you see in the wider market. It's free to list the wine and Berrys take 10% commission, at least it used to be 10%. Have a look on the site.

It might be worth a punt on there, if you put it at the lower end of the market value (search on 'wine searcher' for this) then you might/should get a sale, or an offer.

Edit: I seem to remember a couple of cases being listed a few weeks back on BBX. They didn't have that big a price on them which is probably why they sold. Can't remember the price. Sorry.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Chris H wrote:I have two cases of Dow 77 which I believe are ready to drink now. I am looking to sell one case. The Port has been stored with Berry Bros since I was given it in 1985. I'm not sure I'm going to get vfm selling it to them and seek advice!!!
Hi Chris; the fact that the port has been stored at Berry Bros is a very good thing, and gives you the best chance of getting a good price. The less good news as Andy has mentioned is that Dow '77 has a high incidence of TCA (I'm not sure there is a known figure out there, but I would estimate it might be around 30% of bottles) which at least amongst those who know this tends to depress the price somewhat, though Dow '77 is delicious when you get a good bottle.

Assuming that the wine is still at Berry Bros now, then Lgtrotter's suggestion of using the BBX facility probably provides the most straightforward way to get a fair price for your wine, unless you get other offers through this board. Good luck, and I hope that you get to enjoy most of the bottles from the case that you are keeping.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

PhilW wrote: The less good news as Andy has mentioned is that Dow '77 has a high incidence of TCA (I'm not sure there is a known figure out there, but I would estimate it might be around 30% of bottles) which at least amongst those who know this tends to depress the price somewhat, though Dow '77 is delicious when you get a good bottle.
It's closer to 80+%. I have had very few good bottles of this, from a variety of sources and in a variety of sizes, as most have been corked. I personally would never recommend anyone buy this wine anymore for this reason. I have a few left at home, from just over a case, and when I open one I always have something else as a backup ready. A real shame as when it shows well it's a great Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
PhilW wrote: The less good news as Andy has mentioned is that Dow '77 has a high incidence of TCA (I'm not sure there is a known figure out there, but I would estimate it might be around 30% of bottles) which at least amongst those who know this tends to depress the price somewhat, though Dow '77 is delicious when you get a good bottle.
It's closer to 80+%. I have had very few good bottles of this, from a variety of sources and in a variety of sizes, as most have been corked. I personally would never recommend anyone buy this wine anymore for this reason. I have a few left at home, from just over a case, and when I open one I always have something else as a backup ready. A real shame as when it shows well it's a great Port.
I'm running at 40% (2 of 5) corked. And yes, those have all been in the presence of others who could actually identify whether or not the bottle was corked. :P

One of the bottles was delicious the day it was opened and didn't show as corked until Roy tried to share the leftovers with Stewart the next day, by which time neither one of them could stand being in the same room with the open bottle.
Glenn Elliott