1994 Vintage Ports

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Busterhighmen

1994 Vintage Ports

Post by Busterhighmen »

All sold or no longer for sale. Sorry to anybody not replied to been rather hectic with work!
Last edited by Busterhighmen on 00:42 Mon 10 Nov 2014, edited 2 times in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1994 Vintage Ports

Post by jdaw1 »

I will reply at greater length later, but, pro tem, have you read this.
Busterhighmen

Post by Busterhighmen »

jdaw1 wrote:I will reply at greater length later, but, pro tem, have you read this.
I have indeed - photos shall be taken with much haste.

As I said we have a number of bottles and are only looking to sell a handful as opposed to all.
Busterhighmen

Post by Busterhighmen »

Last edited by Busterhighmen on 10:22 Wed 29 Oct 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Busterhighmen

Post by Busterhighmen »

Last edited by Busterhighmen on 00:42 Mon 10 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Busterhighmen

Post by Busterhighmen »

Last edited by Busterhighmen on 00:41 Mon 10 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Busterhighmen wrote:I visit today as I have recently been tasked with selling a few bottles of our 1994 collection. We have (off the
I'm looking for help with;
- Pricing (Google gives the retail prices rather than what we can sell for)
- Best places to sell (Have tried a couple of merchants, though they are looking for multiple cases at a time, maybe a smaller outfit who would consider a case at a time?)
- Anyone who may potentially be interested in making an offer for a couple of bottles/ a case

Just to add ideally only looking to sell 1 case and a few bottles that are out of cases rather than multiple cases!
I thought we ought to at least answer your questions. So here goes:
Pricing - take a look at www.winesearcher.com. As a rough rule of thumb you should reckon on being able to net about 50% of the lowest winesearcher price. That would equate to about £30 for the Vesuvio, £20 for the Dow, £40 for the Taylor and £25 for the Graham bottles. The reason for the difference between retail and what you can expect to realise is simply down to the margin of the middle men and the perception of risk between buying from a retailer - who has to give you your money back if the bottle is bad - and a private sale where it is caveat emptor.

Best places to sell - for where you are, I would try Dreweatt Neate auctioneers, who are based in Donnington Priory, just to the north of Newbury. You could also try one or two of the smaller local wine merchants but I don't know Newbury well enough to suggest one.

Anyone willing to make an offer - I'm not buying much port these days but I do like the '94 vintage. I'll drop you a private message.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Busterhighmen

Post by Busterhighmen »

AHB wrote:
Busterhighmen wrote:I visit today as I have recently been tasked with selling a few bottles of our 1994 collection. We have (off the
I'm looking for help with;
- Pricing (Google gives the retail prices rather than what we can sell for)
- Best places to sell (Have tried a couple of merchants, though they are looking for multiple cases at a time, maybe a smaller outfit who would consider a case at a time?)
- Anyone who may potentially be interested in making an offer for a couple of bottles/ a case

Just to add ideally only looking to sell 1 case and a few bottles that are out of cases rather than multiple cases!
I thought we ought to at least answer your questions. So here goes:
Pricing - take a look at http://www.winesearcher.com. As a rough rule of thumb you should reckon on being able to net about 50% of the lowest winesearcher price. That would equate to about £30 for the Vesuvio, £20 for the Dow, £40 for the Taylor and £25 for the Graham bottles. The reason for the difference between retail and what you can expect to realise is simply down to the margin of the middle men and the perception of risk between buying from a retailer - who has to give you your money back if the bottle is bad - and a private sale where it is caveat emptor.

Best places to sell - for where you are, I would try Dreweatt Neate auctioneers, who are based in Donnington Priory, just to the north of Newbury. You could also try one or two of the smaller local wine merchants but I don't know Newbury well enough to suggest one.

Anyone willing to make an offer - I'm not buying much port these days but I do like the '94 vintage. I'll drop you a private message.
Hi AHB,

Appreciate the advice, and the PM.

One question I do have; is on Winesearcher it lists all prices exc VAT. As soon as I click on the individual links - For example the Taylor's 94 listed at £91, the website it takes you to lists it at £110.

Is this a fair comparison as in reality the cheapest you could buy it is £110 rather than £91?

Matt
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Busterhighmen wrote:
AHB wrote:Pricing - take a look at http://www.winesearcher.com. As a rough rule of thumb you should reckon on being able to net about 50% of the lowest winesearcher price. That would equate to about £30 for the Vesuvio, £20 for the Dow, £40 for the Taylor and £25 for the Graham bottles. The reason for the difference between retail and what you can expect to realise is simply down to the margin of the middle men and the perception of risk between buying from a retailer - who has to give you your money back if the bottle is bad - and a private sale where it is caveat emptor.
One question I do have; is on Winesearcher it lists all prices exc VAT. As soon as I click on the individual links - For example the Taylor's 94 listed at £91, the website it takes you to lists it at £110.

Is this a fair comparison as in reality the cheapest you could buy it is £110 rather than £91?
Hi Matt - I'm not sure which vendor you may have checked; some prices on winesearcher include VAT, some (most) do not; Also if you are using the Pro version of winesearcher you get access to a wider range of suppliers (whereas the free version only lists the ones who pay for advertising on the site, I believe). For T94, the lowest I see for T94 at a quick glance is £460 for a 6-bottle case from a major reputable supplier; on checking on their site, this is available in-bond at £77 per bottle, or with duty & vat paid at £92 per bottle. Hope that helps.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Busterhighmen wrote:Hi AHB,

Appreciate the advice, and the PM.

Matt
As Phil says, some of the sites include VAT in their prices and some don't, you do have to look carefully to understand which you are looking at. I didn't go as far as you have in clicking the links, I only looked at the headline prices you get when you do a search.

And you are right - if someone is looking for a bottle to drink the fair comparison would be 50% of the price including duty and VAT.

You can also use winesearcher to check for local wine merchants who might be willing to make you an offer for a few bottles.

Busterhighmen

Post by Busterhighmen »

Thanks for the comments re vat

In regards to the bottles of Graham's which are 37.5 and as I understand it half bottles as such should I just half the price of a normal bottle or are these valued differently. I can't seem to find any references to go off
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Busterhighmen wrote:Thanks for the comments re vat

In regards to the bottles of Graham's which are 37.5 and as I understand it half bottles as such should I just half the price of a normal bottle or are these valued differently. I can't seem to find any references to go off
You could perhaps round up by a pound or two but really not much more. It really comes down to what you think people will be willing to pay!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I would just divide the bottle cost by 2 to calculate the price for a half bottle.

PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote:I would just divide the bottle cost by 2 to calculate the price for a half bottle.
+1
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:
AHB wrote:I would just divide the bottle cost by 2 to calculate the price for a half bottle.
+1
+2
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Just to update this post by confirming that the bottles sold went to a good home :D Thanks Matt.