Maia 1937 Colheita Port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
defeatless
Cruz Ruby

Maia 1937 Colheita Port

Post by defeatless »

Hello folks,

I'm Defeatless from The Netherlands, and actually more into whisky :oops: . You can view my profile here: http://whiskybase.com/profile/defeatless

During my neverending search for good quality whisky's for an fair price, I came across someone who's got some port he does want to sell. As the guy is a little older and does know if you unplug a pc it doesn't work, he asked me to check wether it's worth something.

Well I found some prices for a taylor's 1996 vintage, fonseca guimaraens 1988 (2x) and a Niepoort's 1991 vintage. It's rather dissapointing as you guy's stated in your 'read this first'.

Anyhow I found a bottle where even google doesn't come up with results :? So my question is: Can you give me an estimation of the price, and are you interested in buying it?

It is a Maia 1937 Colheita Port

The back states:
Maia 1937 colheita port
Bottled by: The Douro wine shippers and growers association lda. Oporto Portugal.

Sale distributors for the Netherlands: De nederlandse centrale Kelders.

Bottled in 1987.

Thanks!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Maia 1937 Colheita Port

Post by DRT »

Hi,

1937 was a fabulous year for Colheita ports but I have never heard of this particular producer. The company that bottled and shipped the Port is a co-operative that many small and unknown producers use to get their products to market. They tend not to be at the top of the tree in terms of quality and that will influence what someone might pay for your bottle.

Another potential issue in relation to price is that Colheita is generally bottled for immediate drinking and only a very few top producers create Colheita that can be aged in the bottle. My guess is that this particular bottle would have been much better 25 years ago than it will be now.

Noval produced what is generally considered to be one of the finest 1937 Colheita's and these can be bought in excellent condition from recent bottlings for around £250. I think you would get around half of that selling Noval 1937 privately so would estimate that your bottle would sell for a maximum of £100, but probably less.

Has your friend considered drinking it?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn