Warre 1977

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
ppkman
Cruz Ruby

Warre 1977

Post by ppkman »

I have three magnums of Warre 1977 that I would like to sell.
I bought these in the early 1980's and they have been stored in my wine rack ever since - undisturbed for the last 16 years.
Conditions in cool home temperature - not in a cellar. I live in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds near Lechlade.
Please advise best options.
Ppkman +
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Warre 1977

Post by djewesbury »

ppkman wrote:I have three magnums of Warre 1977 that I would like to sell.
I bought these in the early 1980's and they have been stored in my wine rack ever since - undisturbed for the last 16 years.
Conditions in cool home temperature - not in a cellar. I live in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds near Lechlade.
Please advise best options.
Ppkman +
Please can you post pictures that show
- the level of the wine in the bottle
- the general condition of the bottles
- the state of the capsules - is there any leakage or seepage?

Pictures can be posted using the Upload attachment button on the message page. Choose your file and then 'place inline'. Remember to resize really enormous files so that they're not too big on the page..

Is the wine rack in a normal room in the house, in which case the bottles will have been between (say) 16 and 22 fairly constantly all the time they've been with you?

Have you read our standard advice (a sticky on the Selling Port page) to sellers - since you're selling privately, you should not expect to get full retail price; typically, private sales, at auction or otherwise, get about half of retail (bear in mind that prices listed on wine-searcher exclude duty and VAT also). Often the prices you can get are not very high and the option of drinking the port yourself may be preferable, if you can stomach it..

But this is an interesting lot and depending on the condition there could be interest.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Geoff, have sent you another PM..
Daniel J.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Gone to a good home, well at least mine is good can't vouch for the other two. This could turn out to be a long term adoption rather than a fostering!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Justin K wrote:Gone to a good home, well at least mine is good can't vouch for the other two. This could turn out to be a long term adoption rather than a fostering!
Good man Justin. I look forward to finding the occasion to savour this soon...
Daniel J.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Or a bad home, where it will be used to smite the first representative of any political party to present themselves at my door in pursuance of the 2015 general election.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:Or a bad home, where it will be used to smite the first representative of any political party to present themselves at my door in pursuance of the 2015 general election.
If you could let me have your address, I will be there to extol the virtues of, and to represent, each and every political party offering candidates in the 2015 general election. I can bring glasses and a corkscrew if it would help.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Or a bad home, where it will be used to smite the first representative of any political party to present themselves at my door in pursuance of the 2015 general election.
If you could let me have your address, I will be there to extol the virtues of, and to represent, each and every political party offering candidates in the 2015 general election. I can bring glasses and a corkscrew if it would help.
As AHB goes through his repertoire of representing each party I am happy to play the Alastair Darling to his Alex Salamander.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn