6 bottles of dow's 1977 silver jubilee port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
georgeoliver
Cruz Ruby

6 bottles of dow's 1977 silver jubilee port

Post by georgeoliver »

I have 6 bottles of dow's 1977 silver jubilee port. Is anyone interested in purchasing these?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 6 bottles of dow's 1977 silver jubilee port

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome to ThePortForum.

Please:
• Where are you? Or at least, where are the bottles? In the UK? USA? And approximately where within that?
• How long have you had them? How did these come into your possession?
• How have they been stored?
• Why only six, rather than a round dozen?
• Are you aware of the proportion of Dow 1977 that is corked? (Answer: high.)
georgeoliver
Cruz Ruby

Post by georgeoliver »

Hi

I am in the UK. The bottles have been stored in a cool, dry cupboard for a number of years. I suppose corkage is a risk run by anyone buying a bottle of this port if you what you say is right. Are you saying that should be factored into the price? And what should that price be?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

1977 Dow is relatively easy to find in the US for around $100/bottle. In general, prices in the UK are lower than in the US. Further, those are retail prices and in a private sale the seller generally nets significantly less than retail. Our general advice is around 50% of retail, but in this case I'm using winesearcher prices which are typically on the low end of retail so you might net slightly more than 50%.
Glenn Elliott