Niepoort VV

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
camarneiro
Cruz Ruby

Niepoort VV

Post by camarneiro »

Hello,
I'm from Portugal, and i have 2 bottles of Nieport VV bottled in the 1950's or 1960's.
They were stored in a domestic cellar with other wines.
I want to sell them, and want to know if there is someone here interested in buy the 2 bottles.
I contacted Niepoort and they said the limit price to sell.
This wine is very rare.
I wont sell lower the price Niepoort recomend, because if i dont sell, i will open the bottles in some special ocasion in my life.
I would sell for 3200£.

Thank you.
Best regards.
Last edited by camarneiro on 17:28 Wed 04 Jun 2014, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Niepoort VV

Post by jdaw1 »

camarneiro wrote:open the bottles in some special ocasion in my life
That is an excellent suggestion. Marriage, birth of a child, etc, should be marked by something special.

Others will speak for themselves, but I doubt that the regulars here would be willing to pay £3200 ≈ $5350 ≈ €3950 for the two bottles. So the special occasion is probably the best course.
camarneiro
Cruz Ruby

Post by camarneiro »

I will love to keep the wine, but i need the money to create a business. I need to create my own job.
I'm willing to low the price to the value Niepoort sugested.
They told me a value, and told me that i shouldn't sell above that value. They said that the wine is undervalued.
I think that's due to the economic crisis in Portugal. People need money with urgency and sell their treasures cheap.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Again, others will speak for themselves, but I really expect that £3200 might be more than people want to pay, and by a large factor.

Let’s say, and it isn’t unrealistic, that the best price is 10× smaller at £320. Then, is it still worth selling? That won’t start a business. So the special occasion is probably the best course.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I'm afraid that I agree with JDAW; Garrafeira Nacional have this available at just under £500/bottle, and I last saw this at auction in December last year for £270 (including BP), so I think you may struggle to get the type of price you describe. I would that this is a port to save for a special occasion.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Some simple research on the internet says that your bottles are worth no more than $1000/bottle over the internet. Auctions and/or private sales will net significantly less than that, often as low as 50% but when compared to internet prices more typically around 70-80%.

So no matter what someone at Niepoort told you, you won't be able to sell your bottles privately for £1600/bottle. That's more than double the current market value at retail, and at least triple what you should expect from a private sale.

Perhaps the person at Niepoort would be interested in purchasing your bottles from you? If not, their stated value is suspect.
Glenn Elliott
camarneiro
Cruz Ruby

Post by camarneiro »

Hello,
Thank you for your feedbacks.
The price i ask is not the price Niepoort told me.
My price is above that.
They told me that the lower value for them is 1200€ per bottle.
I also told them about the price of Garrafeira National, and they said that that value is undervalued.
If you research you can see that only Garrafeira National is selling at that price.
camarneiro
Cruz Ruby

Post by camarneiro »

If i can sell the bottles for that price, i will be happy.
Otherwise i will keep them, and celebrate something great in my life.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

camarneiro wrote:If i can sell the bottles for that price, i will be happy.
Otherwise i will keep them, and celebrate something great in my life.
I don't think you'll ever find someone to buy at the kind of prices you are looking for. If Niepoort would pay anywhere near that; take it! Even at auction, you still have consignment costs and seller premiums. Maybe the right buyer isn't watching that auction that month and it hammers much below anticipation?
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The Niepoort VV is a great wine and a rare wine. Given the price you want to achieve before you want to sell the bottles I would suggest you contact a wine broker, such as Fine & Rare (www.frw.com). If they are willing to list the wine, you agree the price they advertise at and the commission you pay them if they find a buyer. You can keep the bottles until they find a buyer.

By going this route you will be able to keep these bottles for that special celebration unless you get the price you want.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

camarneiro wrote:The price i ask is not the price Niepoort told me.
My price is above that.
They told me that the lower value for them is 1200€ per bottle.
I also told them about the price of Garrafeira National, and they said that that value is undervalued.
If you research you can see that only Garrafeira National is selling at that price.
Multiple other sites on the internet are selling at about the same price as Garrafeira Nacional.

It is very easy for someone at Niepoort to tell you that your wine is worth more, but unless they are willing to pay you that much for it then their advice is worthless. Any savvy wine buyer will know that it is available at Garrafeira Nacional's price, which means that no matter what Niepoort thinks the real value of the wine is roughly what GN is asking. Note that Garrafeira Nacional is not known for having the best prices - they're generally considered overpriced.

For a different perspective, ask yourself this: if GN's price is so undervalued, then why doesn't Niepoort buy GN's bottle and then re-sell it at their higher price? If they are correct, they could easily double their money.

AHB's advice is probably best. List your wine with a known and respected wine broker such as Fine & Rare. If it sells, wonderful! If not, then you can drink it whenever an appropriate occasion in your life comes up. At the present time, though, it will be extremely difficult for you to sell at your price, or even at Niepoort's price. Both are well above the market value of the wine.
Glenn Elliott